midnight rock approach beta

mmeyers

Can someone give me beta for approaching the lower section and right-side routes of midnight rock. It's reasonable enough to get to Dead end ledge. Is there a lower trail that breaks right that has eluded me? (I did find a spur to the right, but cliffed out) Do/can you approach from the pullout closer to Lworth?

tia

Matt

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the easiest way to access the middle/right side routes is to climb the trail all the way to the upper deck and rap in from the top of ROTC. Wild Traverse also gets it done, but wouldn't be as fast. Pretty sure the L-town locals access that crag from the backside road, which would optimize the rap-in strategy.

Hike to the top of Castle Rock and follow that trail over.

It still is far from a great approach.

As far as the Leavenworth locals having some other means of access - not only does that not really exist, but there is rarely anyone climbing up at Midnight. (local or otherwise).

I would like to do some re-bolting and trail work this fall to bring that crag back from obscurity.

from what I could tell, there's only one trail leading up toward midnight rock from the top of Castle Rock, and that's the trail I've taken which led me to the ledge. I didn't see another trail, other than the dead-end spur I think I found. Did i miss something obvious?

from what I could tell, there's only one trail leading up toward midnight rock from the top of Castle Rock, and that's the trail I've taken which led me to the ledge. I didn't see another trail, other than the dead-end spur I think I found. Did i miss something obvious?

From Castle Rock I have only seen the one trail which ends right at were you would jump on the left side climbs (North Ramp, Nightingale, etc). But if you go up and around at that gully where that trail ends, you can go up and over Midnight and drop down over by the south ramp. I think most people must just go for Easter Overhang or whatever, so maybe there isn't an obvious trail. Probably just bushwacking, I haven't noticed one at least, but i think I remember walking off that way. I have only been up there a couple times, so there are much more better source for this info that post here...