• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
MrGecko

Accident on Infinite Bliss

Apparently there was a tragedy over the weekend on Infinite Bliss. Condolences go out to all friends and family of the climbers involved.

I am always moved when I hear of friends and acquaintances who lose their life while pursuing something that they love and brings them joy.

Precious are our lives, live passionately my fellow wall mates.

this connected w/ the recetn anecedote on a big rock fall there?

I would think not. The poster at ST saw the rock fall from above, then rappelled thru it on descent, and drove home safely to post about it.

Maybe the OP here really meant Spontaneity Arete?

Maybe the OP here really meant Spontaneity Arete?

No, there was also an accident on Infinite Bliss though I don't know any of the details. Certainly an unfortunate weekend.

I'm good friends with this climber's mom. What a tragedy. Not sure what happened. There was a fall, but don't know if it was during the ascent or descent.

been feeling like a punch to the gut since this morning.........the why's don't matter at this time......time to grieve.

wise sir do not grieve

it is always better to avenge dear ones

than to indulge in mourning

for every one of us living in this world

means waiting for our end

let he who can achieve glory before death

when a warrior is gone

that will be his best and only bulwark

I know of a climber who fell this weekend in that area who is presumed dead but according to his step sister, he has not been recovered yet. The details are very limited. If this is the same person you're speaking of, you can find a nice write up on him on Vertical World Seattle's fb page... Such a tragic loss

I didn't know him but I am sorry for everyone else's loss.

I am curious to find out the details of the eventual accident report. As noted in another thread and documented on supertopo there was rockfall on this route just days before and I saw pictures of severely damaged anchors. Also the report said that a number of bolts were damaged beyond use.

Does anyone know if the anchors on this route are safe at the moment?

Does anyone know if the anchors on this route are safe at the moment?

You could contact the poster of the original ST topic by PM thru ST

I am confused, were two VW youth climbing coaches killed in separate climbing accidents in the last few days? If so that is going to be really hard on a lot of people. I hope this is not the case.

I am confused, were two VW youth climbing coaches killed in separate climbing accidents in the last few days?

There were two young men killed this weekend in separate, unrelated accidents. One on Spontaneity Arete, one on Infinite Bliss. I believe both were affiliated with different gyms, not sure if they were both involved in coaching. It is very sad, with the recent fatality at Skaha, that makes three young men who left us too soon over the past couple of weeks.

I am confused, were two VW youth climbing coaches killed in separate climbing accidents in the last few days?

There were two young men killed this weekend in separate, unrelated accidents. One on Spontaneity Arete, one on Infinite Bliss. I believe both were affiliated with different gyms, not sure if they were both involved in coaching. It is very sad, with the recent fatality at Skaha, that makes three young men who left us too soon over the past couple of weeks.

There was also a climber fatality in Blodgett canyon just over the Montana boarder near Missoula. It has been a hard few weeks.

Scott--that's the accident that occurred on Serendipity Arete. It was widely mis-reported as Liberty Bell.

I was away on a cycling trip, uncoonected to the world for a few days. I just learned about this. Climbed this route the year before. I have not seen the details, just the route, the reported rockfall, the young man's name. Always a reminder that objective dangers abound in this sport.

it's been a month - any light been shed on what actually happened?