Cilogear 30:30, 40B, similar offerings?

sportnoob

An earlier thread I posted asking about the cilogear 45 got a response suggesting I check out the 30:30, which hadn't been on my radar.

Can anyone with experience weigh in on the 30:30 vs the 40B? It looks like the 40B has a little more width and therefore volume.

Outdoorgearlab's online review more or less says the 30:30 straps and belt aren't very comfortable when the pack is loaded, which is why I am interested in the 40.

The pack would be for climbing situations where I approach the night before, bivy, and then strip the pack to climb before returning to camp. I'd also like it if it worked for carry-over climbs that aren't technically very hard for me. For both of these reasons, I'm thinking a more "real" hipbelt would be nice when the pack is loaded (my big reservation about the 30:30).

Any suggestions of other packs of similar design? I don't like the BD Speed swing arm thing, seems gimmicky and weird. Haven't tried the Patagonia Ascensionist 45, but am wary of the closure design and like to not be a "first adopter" in case it ends up being weird / sucky.

I want a removable hipbelt, which rules out the Cold Cold World Chernobyl.

I'm asking as it's not easy to do a try-before-you-buy thing with Cilogear.

Edited by sportnoob

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used the 30:30. It works well as a carryover pack and as a summit sack, I've used it for both purposes. My partner and I fit two sleeping bags, two pads, extra clothes, and both pairs of approach shoes and used it as a second's pack. The straps and hipbelt felt plenty supportive.

Another pack you may want to look at is the Arc'Teryx Alpha FL 45 pack. http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&category=Packs&model=Alpha-FL-45-Backpack

Both have features that annoy me, both lack features that I like to have, but both work fairly well for what you want them to and are pretty durable. I don't get the whole strip off everything just to summit, these type packs are already very light.

Edited by DPS

I think the Cilo pack comfort depends on your body shape. I have large trapezius muscles that I think are the cause of problems with the Cilo shoulder straps. I end up bruising if I carry more than 25lbs very far. I was using my 45l worksack for a lot of ski touring and found that carrying my splitboard plus normal day trip stuff on/in the pack wasn't very comfortable. I hit my limit when the shoulder straps shredded the chest seams on an otherwise well cared for M10 jacket. I still use my worksack for overnight trips but I wouldn't buy another Cilo pack unless I could get it customized with the straps from a bigger pack on something in the 45l size. No way I'd go for a pack with nearly the same volume but with lighter straps.

I know that there is a very strong following for simple sacks as climbing packs. I see the advantages but my Cilo pack is literally wearing on me.

Edited by Jason4

The Cilogear 30:30 weights 1,230g fully loaded and 680g fully stripped down to the tube. The Arcteryx Alpha FL 45 weights 650g full loaded. It is a bit unfair to compare the weight of a pack with a rolltop closure to a pack with a lid. Both are actually 30 liter packs that extend past 30 liters to get a bit unwieldy.

I own the Alpha FL and love it. My recommendation is to at least try it. It carries fine but don't expect to carry a 50 lb pack with weight extending above your shoulders. But you weren't going to carry that much weight anyway right?

Haven't tried the Patagonia Ascensionist 45, but am wary of the closure design and like to not be a "first adopter" in case it ends up being weird / sucky.

I picked this pack up and have used it a fair amount this summer. I really like the tool attachment, the fabric kept the contents dry when I fell in a creek and was submerged momentarily, overstuffs surprisingly well despite the unconventional closure, it carries great, comfortable suspension, light weight and relatively cheap when applying the AAC 20% discount.

Cons: frame is not real easy to re-insert, no port for bladder hose but neither of these are deal breakers. It's not made in the US which could be a deal breaker, but pricing is a significant consideration for me.

I was looking at HMG and Cilo packs and thought the Patagonia pack offered a good compromise in price and weight.

I've had a few of the Cilo offerings, and like their 30L the best. I think the 45L is really tall and probably overkill for a lot of the stuff around here. Your post has me intrigued about the 30:30 or a 40B. If I have to schlep more than 40L-ish of stuff and I'm not doing a carry-over, my preference is to pack it in with something bigger and comfier (like a cushy Granite Gear backpacking pack), and bring along a small pack to do the actual climbing with. Yes, this is probably 1-1.5 lbs heavier on the approach, but is worth it to me when on-route. Caveat: I'm super skinny and have prominent clavicles, and have always struggled with comfort carrying larger loads in the bigger ultralight-style packs.

Edited by jared_j

I am very happy with my 40B, I used it for a few years now, and nothing comes close to it. I got rid of the various "ultra-light" large volume packs as they were just simply too painful for me with heavy loads. If you are thinking of winter trips, multi-day trips, hauling - get this pack. Very comfy to climb with, great back suspension. If the loads are 40 lbs +, the extra frame sheet it comes with does help.

8339364342_455dfacca2_b.jpg

BD speed 40.

The swing arm thing is fine, I don't snowboard in it since I'm convinced it'll do weird things when you shift your weight.but it's really a very comfortable, well featured, light pack. I took it across the Pickets & up Rainier. Lid comes off easy.

I have used a cilo 30l worksac for a few years & the real hipbelt on the speed is welcome to hump more junk around.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have the 30L W/NWD and a 45L in regular fabric. I love both. I've climbed with the 45L as a summitpack on multiday trips. I'm 6'2 and got the long shoulder straps. I debated for a long time before shelling out cash for the dynemma, but it was the right choice, that shit is burly and waterproof. its really nice.

• 2 months later...

I got to use the 30:30 during the Bozeman Ice fest last year and thought it was pretty good when compared to all of the above. It's definitely a solid 40L (NOT the cilo gear "40L" but I bet it's as big as the Speed 40). I have big shoulders and traps and I got one with the long shoulder straps. Shoulder straps were comfortable. Unfortunately, the webbing waist belt left a little to be desired. I'm all about webbing waist belts, however, the 30:30 will sag quite significantly so the bottom of the pack feels like it's down below your ... backside. If I were to buy the pack, I would ask for a stiff hip belt from one of the larger packs. Cilo Gear packs are a little rough around the edges...It's part of their charm. The current two packs I own are the old style mountain hardwear summitrocket 40 with the roll top closure (it's great but dying quickly and you better pack it right if you dont use the bivy pad...which I never use) and the crux ak 57x (now this is an awesome pack but the torso is a bit short for the size, I think. I measure a 19" back and have the size 2).

Edited by jrc

• 2 weeks later...

I've used an Arcteryx Nozone for over a decade - found it to be a great 2-3 day alpine pack, can reduce/strip it for shorter trips. removable top and hip belt. I removed all the "frame" crap - stays, framesheet, paper-thick-foam - and replaced it all with a half-length ridge-rest pad, folded in quarters to stiffen it as a "frame". seems fine for up to 40lb or so, and I've always got a bivvy pad. I like the look of Osprey's Mutant, but I've never carried one...

• 3 months later...

Bump. Looking for two new packs:

1 for long alpine rock routes no overnight.

1 for long alpine rock routes overnight carry over.

I was thinking CiloGear but this thread has confused matters substantially.

I'm 6'1", tall, appreciate weight on hips not shoulders and appreciate a hip belt with some padding. I'm wiling to suffer more on the day alpnie rock routes. Less on 2 day outings that generally involve covering a lot more non-technical ground and have easier technical rock climbing.

Suggestions appreciated. Thx.

I was looking for the same thing. The 8-10 week wait for a Cilogear pack pretty much negated that as an option for this summer. All the more reason to keep using the packs I have. (I thought the Patagonia Ascensuon looked pretty great if you never plan to haul)

I recently picked up a Mammut Trion Pro to replace my Cilo 45l Worksack and have been happy with the limited chances I've had to use it. It's heavier than the Cilo pack for about the same volume but has features that I really appreciate. The biggest improvement for me is the brain straps that keep the brain tight and off the back of my head even when the pack is less than full, the Cilo just wouldn't cooperate with me there.

Some of the other features that I like and will really appreciate for a ski touring pack are the dedicated avy tool pocket on the outside of the pack and the zippered access through the back panel.

I carried ~40lbs about 3 hours from car to camp last weekend including some light bushwacking. I had a very light rack, a light rope, and my share of the group gear for 2 nights out. I climbed ~1500' of 4th/low 5th class scrambling with a pitch or two of 5.6 climbing with my mountain boots, crampons, and an axe in the pack. The pack was larger than I'd want but considering that it had to cary in the camp supplies too I was happy with how it pulled double duty.

The previous weekend I was out on the west ridge of N. Twin with it just as a test run and was happy with how it moved but the brain hit my helmet on the bicycle ride down.

Love my Arcteryx FL 45 so much I picked up a FL 30 for routes with no overnight. Used the Alpha FL 30 in Alaska on Lucifer recently. Have used my Alpha FL 45 on the French Ridge of Huntington (two bivies) West Witches Tit (giant push) and Dickey (one open bivy). Both awesome backpacks that climb well.

IMG_1400_edit.jpg

IMG_1259_edit.jpg