pressure cooker?

montypiton

back in the 70s and 80s, when I was making long (more than two weeks) trips and climbing "big", my pressure cooker was my best friend. even high on Denali and Aconcagua I ate real food. during the interim, while my kids grew up, the pressure cooker died. now that they're out of the house and I have the time/freedom/fantasy to go "long" and "big" again, I'm looking for another, & not finding. anybody know where I can find a "small" (like four quarts or less!?) light/compact (compared to other pressure cookers) pressure cooker these days?

-Haireball

Edited by montypiton

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

heavy if youre out three days or less- saves its weight in fuel on longer trips. cook whole grains, beans, split peas, lentils -- in 1982 I made split pea soup from scratch at 14k on Denali for a potluck with the medical project folks (first year of project -- think Peter Hackett, Brian Okonek) I carry it on longer trips, and at altitude, so that I can eat "real" food as opposed to freeze-dried "faux-food". try cooking noodles at 19000' on Aconcagua, where you can stir boiling water with your bare finger...

if all you do is boil water, the weight isn't worth it - except maybe at altitude when boiling water may not be hot enough to make even the freeze dried stuff palatable... of course this won't apply anywhere in the continental US... close to home its strictly for long trips and/or "luxury" trips.