Rxford/Ensawkwatch Enchainment/Illusions Traverse

BrettS

Hey There,

I have been thinking about doing the Ensawkwatch Enchainment, and maybe including the Illusions and South Peak of Rexford as well for a long bit of traversing as these guys did (http://kobus.ca/adventures/rexford_howay/index.html). It looks like we would likely be starting and finishing on the east side of the ridge via Centre Creek. I thought there might be some insight on some aspects of the climb that someone might want to share.

Here are a few of my current questions:

Any thoughts on water accessability near the ridge anywhere this time of year? Does it look like there are acceptable places to bivy on the climb (maybe below N Nesakwatch Spire/Rexford)? I called the hatchery about road access and they say that the gate is open due to logging in the area. Anyone know haw far up the road is open?

I am considering doing this over 2-3 days over Labor Day if the weather works out. It sounds like a fun bit of climbing in an area that I have yet to explore. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a great place to bivy below the Spires and Rexford on the west side. But it might be snow-free (hence no water) by now.

However, there's still snow at the top of the E and Ne ridges of Rexford. You can get water from there.

In general I would not recommend the Centre Creek approach to Illusions right now.

I suggest the following: hike up the Rexford trail from Nesakwatch right now.

Camp at the typical west side Rexford location. Flat bivi rock.

Do the Illusions traverse one day, return to camp. See TR here:

http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=57444

Then do the normal North Spire-South Spire-Rexford traverse the next day (plenty of TRs including a fewfrom this year available online), and hike out down the Rexford trail again.

Edited by G-spotter