• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
BrettS

Rxford/Ensawkwatch Enchainment/Illusions Traverse

Hey There,

I have been thinking about doing the Ensawkwatch Enchainment, and maybe including the Illusions and South Peak of Rexford as well for a long bit of traversing as these guys did (http://kobus.ca/adventures/rexford_howay/index.html). It looks like we would likely be starting and finishing on the east side of the ridge via Centre Creek. I thought there might be some insight on some aspects of the climb that someone might want to share.

Here are a few of my current questions:

Any thoughts on water accessability near the ridge anywhere this time of year? Does it look like there are acceptable places to bivy on the climb (maybe below N Nesakwatch Spire/Rexford)? I called the hatchery about road access and they say that the gate is open due to logging in the area. Anyone know haw far up the road is open?

I am considering doing this over 2-3 days over Labor Day if the weather works out. It sounds like a fun bit of climbing in an area that I have yet to explore. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

There is a great place to bivy below the Spires and Rexford on the west side. But it might be snow-free (hence no water) by now.

However, there's still snow at the top of the E and Ne ridges of Rexford. You can get water from there.

In general I would not recommend the Centre Creek approach to Illusions right now.

I suggest the following: hike up the Rexford trail from Nesakwatch right now.

Camp at the typical west side Rexford location. Flat bivi rock.

Do the Illusions traverse one day, return to camp. See TR here:

http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=57444

Then do the normal North Spire-South Spire-Rexford traverse the next day (plenty of TRs including a fewfrom this year available online), and hike out down the Rexford trail again.

Edited by G-spotter

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I will take them to heart, and hopefully everything will come together. Looking forward to spending some time up there!