[TR] Supercave Wall - The Tiger 8/13/2014

Blake

Trip: Supercave Wall - The Tiger

Date: 8/13/2014

Trip Report:

IMG_1845.jpgOver the course of 4 days this summer, I teamed up with local guides/crushers Colin Moorhead and Max Tepfer in order to engage in a little "vertical construction project" on the M&M aka Supercave Wall near Liberty Bell. Those guys sent the hard and scary pitches, while I dropped our wrench and whimpered up the offwidth. Thanks also to Arden Pete, Erik Lawson, Mike Pond, and Shaun Johnson who put in some anchors and sent some of the pitches.

The end result is an entirely new 11 pitch route that features some of the best rock in the Cascades. There really isn't any choss from top to bottom and it has everything from slabby finger cracks to overhanging offwidths.

It can easily be climbed at 5.11 A0, and the descent is via an easy walkoff to the left, or via rappels down the route with 2 ropes.

The approach gully (unless snow covered) definitely presents some objective hazards. Be very careful about knocking rocks down, and be cautious about approaching the wall if there are already cars parked in the pullout.

I hope this route sees some traffic and repeats, rather than a regression to the vegetated state from whence it was uncovered!

There are a couple fixed wires on P9 with single 'biners which are nice directionals for the rappel down this section. Please leave them.

Supercave%2BTopos.png

Gear Notes:

Doubles from grey TCU to #4 camalot. Single #5, #6.

Approach Notes:

Park MP 166 on Hwy. Walk 40 minutes up the gully. Year round water. Expect a little scrambling and potentially a fixed line around the narrowest part of the gully.

Edited by Blake

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic