[TR] Mt. Formidable - South Route 8/10/2014

lizard

Trip: Mt. Formidable - South Route

Date: 8/10/2014

Trip Report:

IMG_20140727_093636_612.jpg

View South from Forbidden Peak 2 weeks ago: where good climbing ideas are born.

Dave and I started at the Cascade Pass trail head around 1:30 on August 9,2014 (my birthday) heading for Mt. Formidable. Less than 5 hours to Kool Aid Lake, at a relatively relaxed pace. Encountered some nasty loose gullies on the way to Cache Col. I would go higher and look for a more solid route if I were to do it again.

IMG_20140809_151956_227.jpg

Cache Col was in fine shape.

IMG_20140809_160931_221.jpg

Panorama from Cache Glacier; Torment, Forbidden, Sahale, and Buckner. Yum!

IMG_20140809_175328_863.jpg

Kool Aid Lake and our objective.

IMG_20140809_202124_609.jpg

Nice views from Kool Aid Lake.

IMG_20140809_190320_8771.jpg

Goats on ice

IMG_20140809_200703_746.jpg

Dave Bale

IMG_11511.jpg

Snow finger up to Red Ledge. A step into the moat made it relatively easy. I was surprised at how convenient the ledge was given the looks of it from Kool Aid Lake.

IMG_11501.jpg

Lovely heather benches on the traverse between Red Ledge and the Middle Cascade Glacier.

IMG_11281.jpg

Early light on the Middle Cascade Glacier up to Spider-Formidable Col. No problems on the glacier.

IMG_11291.jpg

View South from Spider-Formidable Col. The heart of the North Cascades.

IMG_11314.jpg

Down climbing South from Spider-Formidable Col. I don't enjoy down climbing steep snow, but it was easy enough.

After the col, traverse South for a ways and climb above a nice bivvy spot to the obvious notch. I highly recommend looking for a footpath in the heather to the left (West-ish) of the nasty, nasty loose gully and save yourself the headache of that sh!t; we found it on the way back.

IMG_11321.jpg

Cross the South face past the prominent buttress and head toward true summit on the left (West).

IMG_11382.jpg

Lots of of steep choss. No real technical climbing, but we definitely stayed vigilant and got a stiff workout balancing on the loose rock. We opted for the ledge route just East of summit gully for final ascent, I don't know if it was any more solid. Wiser people might have worn helmets.

IMG_11362.jpg

Steep choss.

All told a birthday great trip with no problems. Just rugged, long and hot. Some of the best views in the North Cascades. A lot of smoke toward Stehekin. We saw a bear heading up the Middle Cascade Glacier heading for the Col. She turned up a steep side gully when she saw us and scrambled up and over in no time. Made me feel whimpy. From Kool Aid Lake to summit about 6 hours, then 10 hours back to car.

Gear Notes:

Crampons and ice axe. Sun protection. Headlamp for the journey out. We did not use a rope. Bottle of wine for the nice sunset at Kool Aid Lake.

Approach Notes:

Beware the rangers at Cascade Pass.

IMG_11321.jpg

Edited by lizard

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic