Marble Canyon Conditions

oldgoat

Best thing to do is pass the word along to the bad doers smirk.gif , having them remove the diversions and keep climbers reputation good people under their book.

Besides it will make the other climbs way fatter hopefully.

Burning bridges is not a good idea for future access issues and other reasons.

I bet the guys that diverted the water had only good intentions in the first place.

Also I see no need to bring these bad people's smirk.gif names or intentions public.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also I see no need to bring these bad people's smirk.gif names or intentions public.

Cause we all know it was certain Squamish based guides looking to expand teachable terrain & have a wider range of difficulty for their clients. Naughty naughty guides! Wrist slap time!

Lambone I don't know why you say that. I spoke with Bernard just briefly and he was intent to pass the info along. Apparently someone knows who did it.

Let's get something clear though. I never said it was good or something to condone in the future. If we can remove it and get it behind us then great. The comments about guide services diverting the ice are interesting and possibly false too. If in fact it turns out to be that some guides fucked it up for the rest of it then I am all for making this public information.

Lambone I don't know why you say that.

Well, I said two things. First, I think they would be difficult to remove now, based on what I saw last weekend. I may be wrong but it looked to me like the water was diverted by logs and boards sunk into the dirt, and are now frozen over with ice. But I could be wrong.

Second, I said that they would probably get put back again in the future. I have no idea who put them there, or why they did it (other than to make more climbs). But the same thing happened in Hyalite Canyon, every year they were removed, and the same dude went up and replaced them. He eventualy poured concrete to make them permenant.

I am not really for or against them either way. I think it is great to have more ice to climb, especialy in that popular area. And I don't think that Icy BC suffered too much, it is climbable. But...if the Govt is pissed than that is bad for ice climbers in general. Access needs to be preserved over all else.

Sorry I never clarified what I was really questioning. grin.gif

Second, I said that they would probably get put back again in the future. I have no idea who put them there, or why they did it (other than to make more climbs). But the same thing happened in Hyalite Canyon, every year they were removed, and the same dude went up and replaced them. He eventualy poured concrete to make them permenant.

I never did see what was the diversion for the water. Sounds interesting to say the least.

After the confrontation to Bernard from the big watchdog who is just an innocent standerby for the most part, I can only say that I doubt it will occur next season unless it is approved beforehand.

My thoughts still stand that if it was some guide service that might screw up our access to good ice then we should make it known our thoughts.

I'm a member of the Climber's Access Society of British Columbia and have passed along my thoughts to the appropriate people.