Marble Canyon Conditions

oldgoat

Chimo Merrycans

Here's your Mable Canyon sitrep for 03/01/05.

Daytime temps are in the order of -5C to 0C. As a result the climbs are quite wet. cool.gif

Concerns have been raised about the amount of water in the 'ice ranched' areas and the generally lean nature of ICBC. Adjustments to these water flows should be completed over the next few weeks (unless we go to the Rockies then all bets are off). crazy.gif

All righty then! Here are your route conditions.

The Dihedral

Wet but leadable @ WI4 to WI4+

Waite for Spring

Dry and leadable (stubbies needed) @ WI4 R/X.

Waite for Spring (right)

This is a new 'ranched' climb immediately to the right of WFS. It is dry and leadable @WI4.

Waite for Spring (far right)

Another new 'ranched' climb to the right of the previous climb. This is wet but leadable with sporty pro. evils3d.gif

Pink Cadillac

Almost finished with the retrofitting (3/8 stainless bolts). Until then it is still @ TR.

Deeping Wall

The left side is still too thin to lead. If it cools down another 5 to 10 degrees the new center section should be leadable @ solid WI5.

No Deductible

Coming into shape. The bottom half is a fun TR on verglas and rock. The top half (the ice half) still needs some work before it could be led.

ICBC

Pitch 1 is sketchy but leadable. Pitches 2 & 3 didn't really survive the last blast of the Pineapple Express. madgo_ron.gif

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of Sunday 1/12 the conditions at Marble were pretty much the same as Oldgoats initial post.

Rambles: Right side was in but was thinner then I've ever seen it. First pitch 3-, 2nd pitch easy 2 and third 2+/3-. First pitch on the left side was formed but the second corner pitch was not. I didn't get a chance to look at the last steep pitch on the left side.

Gotta thank J-Dog and Mr. Radon for helping fix my flat tire and cleaning up Fred Roger's busted head courtesy of the a Charlet Moser Adze.

I talked to a local climber from Kamloops on Sunday. He mentioned that he hasn’t heard anything about Bridge yet but also mentioned he thought the avy conditions were pretty bad for whatever thats worth.

I also forgot to thank the friendly Canadian police officer that gave me a ticket for going 115 km in a 90 zone on Highway 1.

moon.gif

avvy conditions were fine, in general.... i bet they are worse now... but i would guess the higher n facing stuff in the bridge is in, or coming in and the stuff like old dogs and boulder cr. falls is not.

those of you with ice maps can compare elevations of say, rambles and nightngale.

People commonly overestimate avvy danger in these gullies re: ice fest last year when everyone and their dog in the bar was convinced Avvy conditions were Extreme on Ni&G, we were the only ones who drove out there, did on site evaluation as Low, climbed it, whole canyon to ourselves. Snow stable the whole day. But if you wanna go somewhere else and leave the routes to me more power to ya.

Please let me know if there is something blatantly obvious that I'm not considering, but how can you do an onsite avy evaluation on terrain thats much different and much higher than the area in which your onsite evaluation is taking place. If there is a trick in that area, I've only been there once, for checking avy conditions on those climbs please fill me in. I'm not trying to be a dick just looking for some potentially useful information.

I went with a guy who is a pro patroller and he looked up the gully at the huge amount of bare rock and tree sticking out above the gully and pronounced the risk low. in fact the whole thing had slid 5-7 days earlier and snow above was minimal new accumulation. other than bringing your own pro i dont know what method to use except hiring a helicopter and making bombing runs first. however my point was just cause you read on www.avalanche.ca that avvy conditions are high (and i bet they are considerable or ower there right now) or some guy in the bar or online says they are high, does not mean they necessarily are on site. or it could say things are low and a freak storm could have dumped 10 inches of killer pow right above the last belay DEATH FROM ABOVE!!!!!

When we hiked up to Shriek last year there was a ton of Avy Debris in the approach gully, and only about 3-6 inches of new light snow. The danger seem ed pretty minimal. I'd say big ice balls on the approach are a good indication that it has recently slid and is now safe. Just pay attention to the weather, and don't go if the weather hasn't been stable.

I've read and heard some stories about folks getting sluffed on pretty hard while up there.

People commonly overestimate avvy danger in these gullies re: ice fest last year when everyone and their dog in the bar was convinced Avvy conditions were Extreme on Ni&G, we were the only ones who drove out there, did on site evaluation as Low, climbed it, whole canyon to ourselves. Snow stable the whole day. But if you wanna go somewhere else and leave the routes to me more power to ya.

Last time I was up there I hiked up a large, recent tough *in the trees*. It wasn't snowing and there was little fresh snow at the base. I got hit by a sluff at the last belay and there was a sizable (but not huge) slide while we were descending from the top. Both started well above the climb and they happened with 15 minutes of each other.

I'm not trying to scare anyone off, I just wanted to point out that you cannot assess the avalanche threat from the bottom or approach on that climb.

I just wanted to point out that you cannot assess the avalanche threat from the bottom or approach on that climb.

Maybe you cant but it doesnt mean that anyone cant. You can eyeball the terrain above and check amount of bare ground visible from several points along the road. You can drive up the Shalath road to assess similar conditions on a nearby ridge crest. Loren you are digging yourself a hole and I dont mean a Rutschblock. tongue.gif

so...about those Marble Canyon conditions...

Sorry to detract from the engaging discussion of speeding tickets and long range avalanche assessment, but does anyone have any fresh info (more recent than Sunday)? On the ice conditions I mean, not the guys in red jackets and silly hats.

See you at Marble bright and early on Sat.

rockband.gif

Hello all

Just got an email and then spoke to the BC Parks supervisor for the area. He is pissed off that water has been diverted without them being told about it.

I asked "Is this serious?""

He said "It violates the water and park acts, so yes it is."

Whomever wishes to talk to me about this, please call me at my home 250-256-0137

yours

Bernard