Getting to Cathedral and Amphitheater from Canada?

chitin

I want to climb Cathedral and Amphitheater in a week and want to go in from Canada to make the approach shorter. Anyone know if the cross border hike is closed by border patrol folks? Also, any beta on routes online that is more recent than Beckey 3rd edition? Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did it years ago w/ tvash - nary a soul on the long approach from canada, sure as hell not at the border which was remote to the extreme - i recall no trail at all at the border, which we reached only after a long bout of very interesting open country that was completly trackless

enjoy that trip and pack to stay a few days at the lake - amazing climbing all around it - really fun, long solo scramble can be done from left to right as i remember too, continous kewl boulder problems for many hundreds of vertical feet

38 km in ashnola river road, hike the 16km into the meadows(lovely camping) and hit the ridge at the end of the valley, hard to starboard and head south. take your passport. can follow the ridge and do the deacon or drop into valley for the enjoyment of woods/bushwacking/bugs/swamps/death.

also, grimface traverse and then following the high ground along smokey the bear, stone city, pyramid, and quinscoe. nice hiking, camping, etc. there is also a ton of climbing on matriarch, grimface, macabre. and you can just look at stuff and climb it.

beware crazy bugs, afternoon thunderstorms, and no water above valley bottom beyond snow (black water bag!)

also,Orofino winery bubbly and stick it, and yourself in the river. also, thai place in keremeos is good, surprisingly.