Do you use the photo gallery?

jon

Keep photo gallery?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Keep photo gallery?

In moving to new forum software soon one of the things we are considering is dropping the photo gallery. The new forum will allow you to drag and drop photos into a post, which from a usability standpoint will be awesome. But the photos will not be cataloged anywhere, so in a way they will be lost in that post. There will be less to maintain on our side, but a lot of those awesome photos will be buried.

If you have any input on this, feel free to take the poll or comment below. Thanks!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

meh - most of the pain in the ass part is just processing the pix for size and quality before worryign about writing the t.r. - would the drag n' drop mean i wouldn't have to cut down the file size anymore? :)

That is a good question. The problem is most of the files coming of cameras these day are huge. I do believe that the browser can reduce image size before uploading to the server, whether the platform that we are moving to does that I'm not sure. I'll look into that.

I think the main thing for me that would help is to not have to go in and individually edit image tags to get them to display larger than your current default. I resize them to ~1200 pixels on the long edge before I drop them into the TR, but then I have to go in and individually remove the "medium" from the image tag. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Regardless, if you could drag and drop right into the text (and have it stay there and not move to the bottom of the TR) that would be great. Especially if you could drag and drop a thumbnail. This would be a huge improvement.

I wouldn't miss the gallery, I only use it to hold photos I'm going to put in a TR anyway.

god i fucking hate dealing w/ the photo gallery - i processed a dozen pixs for uploading, and all but 1 went through - i keep trying to upload that pic but i get an error message "can't upload zero byte files" but no matter how many times i reformat the original (or try the original) i get the same message - also many photos i've already loaded give me the same error message if i try again

I should have phrased my question differently.

The software we are planning to move to has a gallery component. I'm not wild about how it works currently and am questioning whether having one less moving piece is worth losing the ability to browse photos. My suspicion is that people quickly get frustrated by our current software from a browsing standpoint: the UI sucks, people don't properly name photos or tags, there are 10s of thousands of photos now. I think it's just a shitty experience, and I'm wondering if we are better off having a great upload and viewing experience in posts at the expense of being able to browse photos. Then again, if I want to browse photos I'd probably go to 500px.

Power lurker here. I'm with Jason except I generate 0.005% of the content he and many other regulars do. I only use the gallery to upload photos to for the purpose of linking into a TR or sale post.

I have never found anything valuable from browsing within the gallery itself. Generally the photos are a lot more interesting and meaningful within the context of the TR. Plus for every great sunrise photo there are 3 filthy backpacks that were for sale in 2003. And again, when I see that great photo I want to know what part of the season it was taken, on what route, etc.

The argument from another direction - There are certainly some great photographers on this site and some of the highest quality photography can be found in the gallery. However, very, very few of the photos represent mastery of the art and truly "stand alone" outside the context of a trip report. The 250th grainy shot of Sahale at sunrise, randomly browsed upon in the gallery, really isn't worth looking at. Except it is when it shows the current condition of the 'schrund, illustrates the fact that you overslept and your partner is already halfway up, or just exists to remind yourself and others how good it is to be out there when your stuck in here.

Honestly, if you want a photobrowsing experience to be any good, it probably has to be curated in some way, rather than the current free-for-all. Telemark Tips (RIP) had this kind of thing going with their shot of the day. If someone grabbed the very best of the photos and stuck them in a gallery (Hotlinked to the TR?) that might be nice. Mountain Project kind of has this going with its little slideshow when you launch the home page.

Bottom line (IMO) make it really quick and easy to get good photos into the TRs and skip the gallery function. If you are really ambitious, consider making it a sort of special feature that highlights the top 1% of content that really shines.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll echo others: making it faster and easier to insert photos into TRs and other posts would be helpful to users (many have said as much). I don't ever go to the gallery other than to upload my own photos to put them in TRs. I suspect many others do the same.

Edit to add that some of the older TRs have no images because they display as boxes with question marks, presumably due to some technical error in retrieving them from the gallery. It would be nice if this were fixed.

Edited by Rad

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The gallery was one of the major reasons the decision to upgrade to the new platform was delayed for so long.  It is unfortunate, but it was the only way to move the site into the future.  The old board just wasn't working any longer.