• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
boadman

colchuck balance rock descent?

I've read a bunch of trip reports that include good info on the approach and various climbs on colchuck balance rock, but no one talks much about the descent. Anyone care to give a little beta?

Thanks in advance!

One of the easiest descents in the range.

From the summit a single rope rap off the backside gets you to easy ground. Climbers trail leads south then west on scree and pebbles. Contours around the mtn and back to the west side basin. I usually descend in my climbing shoes and drop into the basin high to retrieve my approach shoes that I stash on the biggest boulder. Esentially snow free right now.

I can confirm that the walk off is essentially snow free, one small patch to get back into the basin proper as of last week. The Mosqiuto' on the other hand are thick, 100% deet barely kept them at bay last week. Bring your bug gear!