I made an amazing geologic discovery!

Explorer

I was "stoked" as you guys say, and that contributed to a writing style that wasn't well received here. I am sorry for that as I never intended to piss off people.

As you found out, the first (unwritten) rule of cc.com that giving people a hard time is mandatory. The second is that it is you never apologize. The third is to never take yourself too seriously, otherwise you'll run headlong into rules one and two. ;) We're a strange and cantankerous bunch.

Glad it all worked out and that you found the right audience. Maybe I'll go hurt myself there someday.

I am surprised that after a year and a half since I started this thread that there are over 10,000 views and it is still being discussed. If I WERE a troll or a hoaxster, this site would be an easy mark!

Seems like there were more skeptics than believers here, so your theory doesn't hold water! And yes, lots of views because who doesn't like a good mystery or a hoax?

What was odd to me was how you were holding onto your discovery like it was your possession. Good on you for noticing it and discovering it, and I suppose you got what you wanted with the publicity that is apparently coming.

And thank you for thinking of posting it here first, though you didn't get the reception you were looking for. I'm glad you were able to get it into the hands of the news media to get the exposure you needed.

Looking forward to hearing what you found and I hope it delivers on the hype you have generated!

hero-segway.png

I think we tend to be explorers and people who like challenges. Valhalla seems to present both. I've read this thread many times but this is my first post to it. I'd like both thank Explorer for putting it up, and also to catch the OPB special and maybe later go see what's so interesting with my own eyes at some point. This is good stuff. Not as good as a new burial chamber being found which may or may not contain queen Nefertiti, but damned good for sure.

Thanks for sharing it. You must have been so stoked.

Due to the major fires that took place in southwestern Oregon in 2010 and that the Siskiyou is the only other NF outside of the little strip of Siuslaw that's more centrally located (less prone to fires) I would wager that's where this geological feature is located.

Plus that part of Oregon is already known for neat geological features. There are few roads as well, thus the likelihood for a long bushwack approach.

I'd bet it's near the Illinois River.

• 3 weeks later...
Due to the major fires that took place in southwestern Oregon in 2010 and that the Siskiyou is the only other NF outside of the little strip of Siuslaw that's more centrally located (less prone to fires) I would wager that's where this geological feature is located.

Plus that part of Oregon is already known for neat geological features. There are few roads as well, thus the likelihood for a long bushwack approach.

I'd bet it's near the Illinois River.

I dont know. The teaser photo in the magazine looks to display some pretty rugged terrain. Does the Siskiyou hold that style of terrain? I'm not very familiar.

Would love to spot this place via G Earth before the airing date.. Judging by the heavy foliage on the teaser photo I doubt that will be possible.

• 1 month later...

This week Oregon Public Broadcasting starting running ads for the upcoming Oregon Field Guide special about the geologic discovery that I named Valhalla. They are running commercials (channel 10 in Portland) and they have issued press releases. There will be radio ads too. There is also information on the Oregon Field Guide Facebook page. I can post more details in a few days to coincide with information that OPB releases. For now though, here is a photo that I shot of Valhalla during the third filming expedition with OPB. Valhalla has more than one feature, including this part of it that is a slot canyon.

I don't know how to make the photo larger than the thumbnail photo in this post. In the tiny photo it's hard to see the person standing in the stream at the bottom. If a mod or someone can help, I will post this photo so that it is big enough to see.

17a1.jpg

Edited by Explorer