I made an amazing geologic discovery!

Explorer

[quote=Tyson.g

No kidding, with the recalcitrant hive mind around this place, it is a wonder anyone posts anything.

Sad.

Best of luck and glad you have stoke......maybe that is the cause of all the hating? Lack of passion and stoke by the others? Who knows but yeah, flee this cesspool.

:noway:

When Tyson.g posted that back in July, 2014 I thought his comment about a cess pool was an analogy. But with Choada Boy's plan for his power dump, maybe Tyson.g's comment was closer to reality than I knew. You knarly climbers do have a unique culture!

Don't be put off by the flamin that we give. As in most things inter-nutz related, when you meet even the most violent mouthed spray lord, they are good folk in person. I personally know Choada (Justin T) and he is a reall cool, helpful and interesting person. I bet you two would get along.

Forget about the past and just share what you got. We all really appreciate the cool things others do. This is a social media site after all.

Would be cool to meet you at a pub party some time.

I have thick skin and the flaming doesn't faze me. The more time I've spent on this site the more I understand the culture and humor here. In a much milder way, Cascade Climbers reminds the wild culture we had when I was a young Marine in Vietnam. That culture would not be accepted in a civilized society today... I am way older now, have mellowed out some and I have learned things like "restraint." And I know it would be fun to down a few brews with you guys someday!

Just watched it, neat spot. With all due respect, speaking as someone who maps streams and works in water for a living for over 20 years, get a dry suit! Just watching that crew descend showed they hired some climbers with little to no experience working in an environment full of cold flowing water. Glad no one got hurt. If you want another 15 spots similar to that within 1.5 hours of PDX send me a PM and I'll give you some coordinates on google earth. Literally there are steep canyon gorges all over the place, especially high concentration in the Lewis River basin. I know it sounds dickish but I don't think the hype matches the footage. But it defenitely is a cool looking spot for sure.

Edited by shapp

worst-episode-ever.jpg

Just kidding. It was interesting, I'll say that. Made me curious to learn more about slot canyons and find out just how rare they are. I kind of assumed that slot canyons and waterfalls were ... things ... that exist. But apparently not in such configuration? Anyway, What kind of rock was that thing in? It looks more like some kind of fault block that had tipped up rather than limestone or sandstone that had worn away. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slot_canyon

With all due respect, speaking as someone who maps streams and works in water for a living for over 20 years, get a dry suit! Just watching that crew descend showed they hired some climbers with little to no experience working in an environment full of cold flowing water. Glad no one got hurt.

Why did that guy keep talking about how he was going to "repel?" Are there a lot of bugs in Hyperbole Canyon?

Just watched it, neat spot. With all due respect, speaking as someone who maps streams and works in water for a living for over 20 years, get a dry suit! Just watching that crew descend showed they hired some climbers with little to no experience working in an environment full of cold flowing water. Glad no one got hurt. If you want another 15 spots similar to that within 1.5 hours of PDX send me a PM and I'll give you some coordinates on google earth. Literally there are steep canyon gorges all over the place, especially high concentration in the Lewis River basin. I know it sounds dickish but I don't think the hype matches the footage. But it defenitely is a cool looking spot for sure.

thats cool...what by your estimation is the coolest spot in the PNW?

thats cool...what by your estimation is the coolest spot in the PNW?

Well the PNW is a big place with varying definitions.

If we are talking river/stream canyons and gorges, to stray to the edge of the PNW, I have to say that the Owyhee Basin the most rediculously cool area of all I have been. There is absolutely no way to pick one particular spot as the best within the Owyhees. Amazing and diverse geology, rediculous canyons from side slot canyons full of pinnacles and spires, to mainstem river gorges like little Mini Grand Canyons (the walls are mini at only 2000' tall), hot springs, loads of fossils and geodes, lots of indian caves with artifacts still intact, loads of petroglyphs, tons of huge rock spires for potential climbing, over 250 kayak/raft able miles, so much great stuff. You need several life times to explore it all. Its a big area though, covering parts of Idaho, Oregon and Nevada. Almost uncountable ridiculous expedition side canyon exploration potential. No people.

Leslie gulch is in the Owyhee basin, it is a miniscule fraction of the basin, as a gage of the coolness factor of the entire area, I think of Leslie gulch as one of the less interesting parts of it all. Where as if you had only been to Leslie Gulch you might think wow, this is the best!

Just google search images for "owyhee slot canyon"

Jarbidge/Bruneau basin comes in second for me.

A little big river canyon footage of the upper owyhee, takes about 5 days to get in there, including a 10hr 4x4 drive from hell to get to putin.

[video:youtube]

Edited by shapp

Nine pages of palavering and no meat :( How do you regulars tolerate it?

My amateur rocket science background yields this specific info after watching the OPB show:

The upstream end of the canyon is accessible from road 4220 about a half mile past the PCT parking lot at the north end approach to Jeff Park. Coordinates are 44.7652, -121.8328, the river where it bisects a straight line from Davey Lake to Slideout Lake. It also looks accessible via road 4220 from road 46 out of Detroit. 4220 is a nasty bumpy road near the PCT parking lot. I have no idea of the state of road 4220 between Davey Lake and road 46.

The map says the waterway is the South Fork of the North Fork of the Breitenbush River. I couldn't find a North Fork of the North Fork. USFS has a link now:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/willamette/recreation/?cid=fseprd490206

(I wish they'd lose that corny name)

Ok now. Who's been in it, near it etc? Post pics or stories. Be specific.

John - Thanks for your input. I knew it was not rocket science all along, but it has been entertaining in this record setting wet weather. It will forever be known as Hyperbole Canyon. I'll be honest, I actually had to look up 'palavering' - a good choice of words.

:[]