I made an amazing geologic discovery!

Explorer

“Now, in my readings and in my travels I have heard, like you, about men of a superior type, possessing the keys to all our mysteries. Somehow I could not regard this as a simple allegory, this idea of an invisible humanity within visible humanity. Experience has proven, I told myself, that a man can reach truth neither directly nor alone; an intermediary must exist—still human in certain respects yet surpassing humanity in others. Somewhere on our Earth this superior humanity must exist, and it cannot be absolutely inaccessible. And so shouldn’t all my efforts be devoted to discovering it? Even if, in spite of my certainty, I were the victim of a monstrous illusion, I would have nothing to lose in making the effort, for in any case, without this hope, all life is meaningless. “But where to look? Where to begin? I had already traveled the world, stuck my nose everywhere, into all sorts of religious sects and mystical cults, but to each one it was always: maybe yes, maybe no. Why should I stake my life on this one rather than that one? You see, I had no touchstone.”

- René Daumal, Mount Analogue

“Now, in my readings and in my travels I have heard, like you, about men of a superior type, possessing the keys to all our mysteries. Somehow I could not regard this as a simple allegory, this idea of an invisible humanity within visible humanity. Experience has proven, I told myself, that a man can reach truth neither directly nor alone; an intermediary must exist—still human in certain respects yet surpassing humanity in others. Somewhere on our Earth this superior humanity must exist, and it cannot be absolutely inaccessible. And so shouldn’t all my efforts be devoted to discovering it? Even if, in spite of my certainty, I were the victim of a monstrous illusion, I would have nothing to lose in making the effort, for in any case, without this hope, all life is meaningless. “But where to look? Where to begin? I had already traveled the world, stuck my nose everywhere, into all sorts of religious sects and mystical cults, but to each one it was always: maybe yes, maybe no. Why should I stake my life on this one rather than that one? You see, I had no touchstone.”

Naval gazing drivel from a devout couch potato. He would've been active in cc.com spray if he'd been born in another era.

Naval gazing drivel from a devout couch potato. He would've been active in cc.com spray if he'd been born in another era.

Wow Rad! By the way, are you neutered?

Nah, but my wife had her tubes tied so I'm done propagating my genome.

Isn't this thread about probing virgin canyons dripping with moss? I'm sure we'd all like some of that action.

Nah, but my wife had her tubes tied so I'm done propagating my genome.

Isn't this thread about probing virgin canyons dripping with moss? I'm sure we'd all like some of that action.

Thank you for removing that slander about Beckett! It really hurt, since I live in the theatre of the absurd.

Yes, we're putting together an expedition to explore this under appreciated gem. All we need is a climber, in case we need to climb over something. Are you available?

Can we send Ivan?
You read my mind.

I don't know anyone on this forum, but reading through this thread and other threads on Cascade Climbers I have an observation about Ivan. Most of his posts are very concise and his humor is on the mark. And he seems to make these short comments at just the perfect place on a thread. I bet he would be a fun guy to have a beer with someday!

Can we send Ivan?
You read my mind.

I don't know anyone on this forum, but reading through this thread and other threads on Cascade Climbers I have an observation about Ivan. Most of his posts are very concise and his humor is on the mark. And he seems to make these short comments at just the perfect place on a thread. I bet he would be a fun guy to have a beer with someday!

He is! About the only person he doesn't humor is the Leavenworth camp hosts, how don't appreciate his bivies in front of the bathroom door. You should definitely do it if you get the chance. Just be sure to duck out after the 9-10th one, and before his hairy Russkiness emerges. Best if he's strung up on some aid wall when that happens, or the authorities get involved.

While you're at it Explorer, please solve this mystery: Why the F can't I pump my own gas in Oregon? It's mind boggling how inefficient and highly annoying this system is (as I sit here idling waiting to fill my car up).

Have you seen SOME of the people who pump gas in Oregon? Would you really want those people out and about with no job?

Why the F can't I pump my own gas in Oregon?

Because it's the law and that's what the people of Oregon want. We've voted on this twice and I voted with the majority.

Why? Because I don't like to get out and pump my own gas. Gas stinks. It gets on my hands. It's cold outside. It's warm in my car.

And please don't tell me that if self-serve is made legal in Oregon you can still find a station that will pump for you. Really?

Can we send Ivan?
You read my mind.

i'll need a herd of tauntauns to port my burgundy, by god - i'm not braving this bitch with anything less than 15 lovely red-liters and enough ether to bill-cosby every mountain goat, sasquatch n' cougar in the county :)

Can we send Ivan?
You read my mind.

the natural by-product of dispensing with brawlers, bitches and plain-old ray-tards each n' every day :)

While you're at it Explorer, please solve this mystery: Why the F can't I pump my own gas in Oregon? It's mind boggling how inefficient and highly annoying this system is (as I sit here idling waiting to fill my car up).

plus, like, i'm always scrambling to throw the spliff in the half-beer between me legs n' stow it somewhere quick :noway: