I made an amazing geologic discovery!

Explorer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
...the stunning site that I discovered is not only rare in the northwest; it is also more spectacular than the other similar known geologic features in Oregon....What would be the best way to present this to the public? .. the OPB TV program "Oregon Field Guide"?

The December 2015 edition of OPB Primetime arrived yesterday...

"Coming in early 2016... Oregon Field Guide Special. Valhalla. Join Oregon Field Guide on an unparalled adventure of discovery into the wilderness and witness the first images of a hidden geologic wonder right here in Oregon."

There is a teaser image in the mag that appears to be taken from inside the mouth of a cave on a mountainside that has a stream running out of it.

A friend let me know that my post from almost a year and a half ago was still being discussed here.

That initial 2014 post was made just days after I had successfully made it to the geologic discovery that I had spotted from the air. I was "stoked" as you guys say, and that contributed to a writing style that wasn't well received here. I am sorry for that as I never intended to piss off people. I did follow advice from this forum and a week after posting on this site, I contacted Oregon Field Guide. After they saw my photos of the site that I named "Valhalla", they were exited about it, and the episode will air this coming February. In my posts from July, 2014 I believed that once Oregon Field Guide took the story; they would have it on film by November of that year. I had no idea how long that process would really take!

I read through the replies from my initial posts here. Someone mentioned the "OPs web site" (a caving site). I don't have a web site and know nothing about the site that was attributed to me. After my posts here, I received some interesting emails from members of this site. The general themes were "this is a hoax", "you are a troll", "you are trying to profit over this", "we've probably already discovered your site", and "if you disclose the location (except to them) the public will ruin the place." It was pretty amusing to read one guy's email saying that I was "full of shit", and in his next paragraph, his offer to get together and talk about my discovery!

I did give much thought about how to proceed with the discovery. My biggest concern is the realization that people will be hurt or killed in the Valhalla site. People die in our mountains, rivers, and even on our coastal beaches, almost every month of the year. What might kill us also enriches our lives. Hazards of the outdoors are worth the risks, at least to most of us. Even so, I dread someday hearing about tragedies that will occur in Valhalla.

In my earlier posts here, I gave examples of small, unique sites that I've found but would never publicize. Valhalla is a big site. Hard to access, and protected as much as it could be by the regulations of a designated wilderness area. I believe it is a significant enough geological wonder that it deserves to be shared and appreciated by people who love the outdoors. With that said, after this I won't be defending or justifying my decision to take the story to Oregon Field Guide.

After three expeditions to the site with the Oregon Field Guide crew (the final film shoot last July lasted five days), I know they will produce a stellar documentary on Valhalla - just as they did with the Mt. Hood Glacier Caves, Mt. St. Helens glacier caves, and the Salmon River kayaking episodes, to name a few of my favorites.

Someone has already posted a link to Oregon Field Guide's initial notice of the upcoming Valhalla episode. They will be publicizing more about it between now and the date that it airs in February. I have agreed to let them give out the details as they see fit; therefore I won't be posting photos or other details. I hope that most of you will enjoy it and that it will be worth the wait!

I was "stoked" as you guys say, and that contributed to a writing style that wasn't well received here. I am sorry for that as I never intended to piss off people.

As you found out, the first (unwritten) rule of cc.com that giving people a hard time is mandatory. The second is that it is you never apologize. The third is to never take yourself too seriously, otherwise you'll run headlong into rules one and two. ;) We're a strange and cantankerous bunch.

Glad it all worked out and that you found the right audience. Maybe I'll go hurt myself there someday.

The local land owner is the federal government. Since it's in a designated Wilderness Area many protections are in place by law. As I said it is a big site and I am not too worried about human vandalism. I am more concerned about future natural events that could destroy it (floods, wildfires, volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, etc.). That's one reason why I am glad it is being photographed and documented while it still exists.

I was "stoked" as you guys say, and that contributed to a writing style that wasn't well received here. I am sorry for that as I never intended to piss off people.

As you found out, the first (unwritten) rule of cc.com that giving people a hard time is mandatory. The second is that it is you never apologize. The third is to never take yourself too seriously, otherwise you'll run headlong into rules one and two. ;) We're a strange and cantankerous bunch.

Glad it all worked out and that you found the right audience. Maybe I'll go hurt myself there someday.

I am surprised that after a year and a half since I started this thread that there are over 10,000 views and it is still being discussed. If I WERE a troll or a hoaxster, this site would be an easy mark!

I am surprised that after a year and a half since I started this thread that there are over 10,000 views and it is still being discussed. If I WERE a troll or a hoaxster, this site would be an easy mark!

yeah, climbers are pretty dumb :grlaf: