I made an amazing geologic discovery!

Explorer

A Google search led me to this site today, and this is my first post here. No one on this site knows me and with what I am about to post I understand why there will be people who are skeptical of this story... I am going to be deliberately vague at this time because I need to figure out the best way to present my geologic discovery to the world.

Here is a summary of the discovery and an explanation of why I am not revealing the details until approximately November of this year: In the summer, I manage helicopters (Helitack) for the U.S. Forest Service on wildfire assignments. I spend weeks on end flying in helicopters all across the U.S.A. During the summer of 2010, I was managing a helicopter on a wildfire here in Oregon (I live here and I am a native Oregonian). During that assignment we had a mission to pick up two government resource advisors at a location in a wilderness area, and fly them to the fire line. Because of dense smoke we had to fly miles off course and circle back to the site where we were going to pick up the two resource advisors. During that detour, we fly low through some drainages to avoid smoke that was higher. Deep in the wilderness area, but not close to any trails, I spotted an amazing and significant geologic feature. I marked the coordinates on my Garmin GPS. The view from the helicopter was fleeting. The winds were squirrelly and we had a mission to complete so we were not able to hover and take an extensive look.

The first thing that many people will think is that there are no significant undiscovered places in Oregon. People have told me that "every square inch of Oregon has been explored." Some examples: It is logical to believe that there are no undiscovered waterfalls in Oregon that are higher than Multnomah Falls? Or limestone caves that are larger than Oregon Caves? Those are just examples - I did not discover a record breaking waterfall or a limestone cave. However, the stunning site that I discovered is not only rare in the northwest; it is also more spectacular than the other similar known geologic features in Oregon.

After the 2010 wildfire season wound down; in September, 2010, a friend and I attempted to backpack to the site that I discovered from the air. After a grueling seven hour hike (no trails), we set up a base camp approximately 1.5 miles from the geologic site. The next day (carrying basic survival and photography gear in our day packs) we attempted to reach the site but at only 0.34 miles from our goal we were stopped by an obstacle that we did not anticipate. This obstacle required technical rock climbing equipment to get past. My friend and I are explorers and backpackers, but we are not climbers. So the 2010 "expedition" was a failure. And a huge disappointment to me.

In the four years since, you could say that I have been obsessed with reaching and photographing that site. Work and other commitments kept me from organizing a second attempt until last week. This time, two rock climbers (with climbing gear) came with me. We set up a base camp at the same place where I camped in 2010. The next day (Saturday, July 12) we successfully reached the site. It took four hours from the base camp to cover the 1.5 mile distance to the site. We spent about one hour exploring and photographing the site, and then another four hours to make it back to our base camp just before dark. We spent a second night at the base camp and hiked out yesterday (July 13).

From the ground, the site was everything and more that I had hoped it would be. Awesome and stunning are good descriptors. I believe this site will become famous. Hard core backpackers and climbers will want to go there.

Why am I posting this here and not disclosing the details? OK, I am not saying this compares to Hillary's summit of Mt. Everest, nor Admundsen reaching the South Pole. But for the Pacific northwest, especially Oregon, this is an amazing discovery! I am organizing my photographs and planning to write a full account of the expedition. When I have it all organized, I will disclose everything; maps, photos, GPS coordinates, routes, etc. Which brings me back to the reason for posting this. What would be the best way to present this to the public? An article in Outside or Backpacker magazine? Or is there a good regional magazine? Or the OPB TV program "Oregon Field Guide"? Maybe I could even get National Geographic interested in covering the story... Presenting it in a public setting, similar to a slide show, is another way that I would consider. However I do not belong to any club such as the Mazamas. I hope I have stirred interest with this mysterious post, and that someone will have some contacts or suggestions on ways to share this amazing find with the world.

I think first you might consider that there are likely a number of interesting geologic sites in OR that are known, but not revealed to the public. However, given that it is in a wilderness area (and probably roadless) and in a drainage (hard to access in OR), there is a better chance that you have discovered something new. How exciting either way!

I would contact Oregon Field Guide first.

Ha ha! No, I didn't find Dinatopia or bigfoot. Although if bigfoot exists, this area would surely be his favored habitat.

We didn't shoot any video either; just still photos, so U-tube isn't an option, not that I would want to go that route anyway.

I know of other (small scale) interesting geologic sites that I think would be best kept secret to protect them; such as balanced rocks, a small cave with petrified logs hanging from the ceiling, etc. However my new discovery is something too big and significant to not share with everyone. When I do publish the photographs, whether on this site and/or through other ways, the photos will speak for themselves and the real interest will begin. My main goal for now, is to decide just how would be the best way to go about showing this amazing site to the world.

Was that a Garmin GPS?

My GPS is a Garmin 78sc loaded with Garmin's 1:24,000 topo maps. This is my fourth Garmin GPS. Every few years as technology improves, I upgrade. The 78sc and other models are light years ahead of the ones made just a few years ago. My old Garmin 76S was a work horse, however the 78sc is much better in several ways, especially with it's internal antenna which locks into satellites much faster, and even under a canopy of old growth timber.

sounds cool (and very vague--lots of backstory, nil details on the geologic aspect), but why do i feel like:

Trolling_drawing_1_.jpg

talk to field guide, reach out to mazamas--you dont have to be a member to give a slide show. But you'll have to show them some goods before they're going to spend much time entertaining this.

You could also register a website domain that describes the place "diamondcraterOR.com" or whatever and just write your own version of everything up there and disclose that you're the discoverer, be the authoritative source. That route can be done for $20~ or so.

Another troll for hidden treasure. I actually know Jack Shit, we together found the Renton Granite - so ve vill find it!

Seriously - you'll have to go to the USGS folks, or you'll be prosecuted for putting in a new unauthorized trail system.

Maybe it is the last secret. :tup:

Water, and everyone else interested in this thread; I completely understand your doubts about what I have posted. I would feel just as suspicious if I were reading a story like this from an unknown source.

I didn't post this story to tease people. My dilemma with the discovery is how to inspire enough interest so that hopefully people could point me to the BEST magazine or other media source to show this to the public - while at the same time, not giving it away until I have time to put the story and photos together in a way that it deserves.

As I mentioned in my first post, it has been four years since my unsuccessful expedition to reach the site. One of the main reasons that I haven't attempted to go back until last week, is that I am away on wildfire assignments every summer (with just a few days home between assignments). Last winter I realized that if I were ever going to organize another attempt to get to the site, I would have to stay home for at least a week, right in the middle of wildfire season - and that is a loss of income for me. As I write this, wildfires are burning all across the west. Today I am unpacking my backpacking and photography gear, and packing and getting my wildfire gear together. In a couple of days I will let my dispatch center know that I am ready for assignments, and after that I won't be home much until wildfire season winds down in late September. Deer and elk season takes up most of October. This is why I know that I won't have time to get this story together until November.

Myself and my two climber friends who were with me on the successful expedition last weekend all promised each other that except for doing a little homework (such as this thread) on how to proceed with publishing the discovery; we would not release it until we have it ready in November. All three of us have time, money, sweat and even some blood invested in this discovery. So I will not be posting coordinates, photos, or details until we have the adventure ready to publish.

So unless you think this is a total hoax, bear with me until November. The wait will be worth it! And there will be an added bonus at that time: Although we successfully made it to the heart of the geologic discovery; we only saw about 1/3 of it. We were stopped from exploring all of it by a 30 to 40 foot vertical cliff. I am not a climber, but my partners who are climbers said that it would take drilling bolts into the rock to get past that obstacle. Would that even be legal in a wilderness area?

I am happy, no, ecstatic (!) that I was able to see as much of this incredible place as I did. After I publish the full story, photos, maps, coordinates, etc., I know there will be some of you serious climbers who will be able to get past the cliff that stopped us last Saturday. I can't wait to see YOUR photos of the wonders that lay beyond that obstacle!

One more thing I will offer for now: If for some reason I can not get this story published in November, if someone on this site wants to arrange a meeting place such as a conference room (or climbing club?), I would be willing to give a public presentation, and I believe that the two friends who were with me would be willing to participate too.

Well as much as you're excited about your discovery, if it is truly amazing then it will stand out on its own merits. You don't need to have some dramatic "unveiling". Just post it up here...if it is that cool then people will come looking for you to talk about it.

Or you could continue to bait and drag the line.