Lubricating cams?

DPS

What do folks like for lubricating their cams? I've heard WD40 is not recommended because it attracts dirt, but Triflow gets really gummy and I have to clean them in boiling water to restore the action. What should I be using to maintain the smooth action.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 for the metolius lube. I just get an old tooth brush and make a week and warm water/soap solution in a big bowl. After scrubbing off the major dirt, I let the cams dry. Then generous amounts of lube is applied to the axils/springs, after which even more subsurface dirt will flow out in the form of dirty lube. Once the lube is flowing clean, I stop, let the lube "dry", and then wipe off as much lube as possible, using towels, q-tips, pipe cleaners, etc. I normally do this once every 1-3 seasons depending on usage.

wd40 seems to work just fine for me...

Ditto. No problems with WD40 once a year.

I tried a dry teflon lube I use on my bike chain at the beginning of this season just as a test and it seems to work well so far; time will tell. Honestly, most things would be fine, but I'd stay away from wax based lubricants; they tend to hold onto dirt more so than WD40 or other lubricants in my experience.

I use White Lighting, which is a wax based chain lube, and I'm pretty sure is what metolius re-brands as their cam-lube. It keeps the dirt out, I only have to apply it every two or three years. You can pick it up at any reputable bike shop.

WD40 - and any other oil-based lube - isn't recommended. Metolius Cam Lube is repackaged White Lightning.

Here's my recipe.

Use WD40 to unfreeze sticky cams.

Dip the cams into boiling water to clean the dirt and WD40 off.

Dry the cams.

Use white lightning on the action.

• 3 weeks later...

35 years of wd40 does not seem to have bothered my several generations of cams. not sure what chris means by "oil-based" - wd40 is pretty much fish-oil (yes, it's edible - look it up) it does hold dirt, as do most oils, but it is an effective cleaner & lubricant. 3-in-1 or pam would probably work, too. (disclaimer, I haven't actually used pam on cams...) this ain't rocket science, folks - just clean 'em and lube 'em with whatever's handy. olive oil, anyone?