best technical pants?

Rad

I had a pair of OR pants from 2009 that were amazing: Lightweight, non-restrictive yet fitting, simple, nearly indestructible, and comfortable. I got another pair of OR pants (Ferrosi?) to around 2012 and the fabric was crap and was torn on brush within a year. The original pants outlasted them until this spring. Now I need new ones.

I need pants that are light weight but nearly indestructible as I do a lot of off trail scrambling, climbing, bushwhacking approaches etc. And I climb rock in them. Indestructible but light. I want a thigh pocket I can easily access when leading, no belt, full length (no man-pris). I prefer tan and lightweight as I wear them in hot environments and can always wear a layer underneath if it's cold. I don't care if I pay $80 or $150 if I'm getting a high quality product.

What do you recommend?

Thanks!

R

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just returned a pair of Patagonia Simple Guide Pants that began disintegrating after my first trip in them.

You have to look for the pants that are marketed as J-burg proof.

Those tights you wore definitely were not J'Berg proof. Those lasted all of one trip, correct?

Word from trusted source is the OR Voodoo is good.

Very. They are cut short in the waist for a harness and fairly thin in the legs. I can't speak to their ultimate durability but I like mine in the dozen or so times I've worn them. The fit is what I like about them most among the features you listed.

My only complaints are no double front zipper and lame cuff eyelets. I dropped mine off yesterday to have rivet eyelets installed by a seamstress.

I have the Prana Stretch Zion pants and they fit your specs pretty well. Light, cool, stretchy, not snug, not baggy, fit will, climb great, have the pocket, no belt, etc. They seem to be holding up well for me. I never thought I would ever wear anything made by prana but as soon as I saw them I could tell they were the perfect climbing pant and I dropped the cash for them. They're not even all that expensive. Wish I could say something bad about them so I don't sound like a commercial, but they really are awesome.

I have the Prana Stretch Zion pants and they fit your specs pretty well. Light, cool, stretchy, not snug, not baggy, fit will, climb great, have the pocket, no belt, etc. They seem to be holding up well for me. I never thought I would ever wear anything made by prana but as soon as I saw them I could tell they were the perfect climbing pant and I dropped the cash for them. They're not even all that expensive. Wish I could say something bad about them so I don't sound like a commercial, but they really are awesome.

Thx. Reviews suggest they don't hold up well to abrasion. What's your experience?

I'm a stretch zion advocate. I've had them for years and climbed a ton in them. I've never had a problem with them being not abrasive resistant. I've been in off-widths with them and hiked with them. I've done a ton in them and had no problems.

There are two different generations though. The older generation had a second cargo pocket but a really irritating double-back belt buckle that was difficult to adjust. The new generation loses the second cargo pocket but has a very easy to tighten belt buckle.

I love them.

For an alternative, I've considered the OR Ferrosi pants. However, I just haven't had a reason to switch out climbing pants.

NOTE: Look for sales. If you use the interwebs, you can usually get a discount on the stretch zion pants. They are lightweight and make great travel pants too.

+1 for the Stretch Zion.

Durable, comfortable. I wear them all the time.

As for fit through the thighs, I would not describe them as "relaxed" but they are relaxed enough that they fit me ok. I have really thick thighs, and they are a tad snug, but not uncomfortable or restrictive. (This is true of just about every pair of pants out there, however. If they fit my waist, they tend to be snug on my butt and through the thighs.)

Also, these are one of the few climbing pants I've seen that are available in different inseam lengths.

Edited by KaiLarson

The Stretch Zion are good pants. I have a pair, and they held up quite well until I took a nasty, ankle-destroying fall hiking back along Misery Ridge at Smith (now they have a few holes). I think you will find that they will get cut by pointy metal stabbing, but will hold up well to the regular abuse of climbing and bushwhacking.

I have a pair of Ferrosi pants now. I *really* like how they feel, and they seem to have a fairly good construction for such a lightweight pant, but I doubt they'll last as long as the Zions.

Edited by Alan Trick

I bought the Prana Zion and plan to get the OR Voodoo. OR said if I bring in my old pants they'll just give me the new ones - now that's customer service.

Side note: the REI garage is gone. Sad. I got lots of good, cheap, lightly used stuff there over the years. Hopefully it will come back.

Based on recommendations from this thread I bought a pair of Prana Stretch Zion. I've only tried them on, but my impressions are they are a bit small for the size in the waist and tight in the thighs, but not unreasonably so.

Otherwise they seem like a nice pair of no-nonsense, lightweight climbing trousers, plus they come with a Sean Courage feature allowing them to be rolled up to the knee and then held fast by snaps which I like, because I have bitchin calves and I want everyone to see them.