C3 vs X4

Apdavids

Just looking to see which people prefer and find more useful. The Camalot C3s or the newer Camalot X4s?

Each have the advantages and disadvantages. e.g. the C3 is narrower and can fit pin scares better but doesn't have the expansion range of the X4.

The X4s only need three cams to cover the same spread BD covers with five C#s. The #.75 X4 also goes large enough (1.62") to start covering some of the smaller C4s too, which the #3 C3 only goes to 0.89".

Current sale prices put these within a couple bucks of each other, so that aspect can be a wash.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My C3s have been solid for the last 7 or so years; I'm on my second set.

Probably use the Metolius MasterCams over X4s though: cheaper and lighter.

Nothing wrong with the Aliens, but I haven't come around to the Totems yet... probably haven't used them enough.

I like and use totems for pure rock climbing but for any alpine climbing where snow or ice is a possibility I don't bring them. I've had bad luck with anything that has internal springs in snow/ice/mixed conditions.

I've had good luck in snow/ice/mixed alpine routes (Alaska, etc) with c3 0, 1 and 2 and camalot (not x4) in sizes 0.4, 0.5, 0.75 and up.