[TR] Fernow and Seven Fingered Jack - Standard Scrambles 6/21/2014

JasonG

Trip: Fernow and Seven Fingered Jack - Standard Scrambles

Date: 6/21/2014

Trip Report:

Conditions were pretty ideal on both Fernow and 7FJ around the solstice - enough snow to make travel efficient, a consolidated snowpack, and no bugs. My brother and I had been weathered off this trip five years ago and finally got around to getting back to it, along with his friend Brad. We camped at the scenic col to the west of 7FJ, which has space for a couple small tents and views that are hard to beat. Fernow turned out to be a surprisingly worthy adversary for a "class 2" scramble and while the Beckey description is more or less accurate, you should expect to use your hands and be ready for firm, steep snow.

I went up 7FJ by myself (easy scrambling, minimal snow) in the evening after we climbed Fernow and enjoyed the sunset and summit all to myself. It was the last 9K peak for me in Cascades so that was a pretty fun way to end the trip. The Chelan Mountains are always beautiful, one of my favorite areas in the range.

Crossing one of the creeks en route to the Leroy Basin trail:

2014Fernow7FJ9159.JPG

Camp!

2014Fernow7FJ9181.JPG

Unnamed gendarme on the ridge between 7FJ and Fernow:

2014Fernow7FJ9199.JPG

Glacier Peak at sunrise from camp:

2014Fernow7FJ9227.JPG

Hard snow in the morning, climbers take warning:

2014Fernow7FJ9253.JPG

NF of Maude:

2014Fernow7FJ9255.JPG

Scrambling near the top of Fernow:

2014Fernow7FJ9290.JPG

Skiers on the traverse to the NF of Maude:

2014Fernow7FJ9295.JPG

Skiers on the NF of Maude:

2014Fernow7FJ9314.JPG

Copper and beyond from the summit of Fernow:

2014Fernow7FJ9291.JPG

Exposed Class 3 on the way back to camp:

2014Fernow7FJ9320.JPG

Fernow from 7FJ:

2014Fernow7FJ9345.JPG

Sunset Panorama from 7FJ:

2014Fernow7FJ9350_stitch2.JPG

Agnes, the dark horse of the Cascades. You can't resist her allure!

2014Fernow7FJ9356.JPG

2014Fernow7FJ9399.JPG

2014Fernow7FJ9402.JPG

Zak looking to Buck and beyond:

2014Fernow7FJ9448.JPG

Camp was sublime:

2014Fernow7FJ9444.JPG

2014Fernow7FJ9496.JPG

Gear Notes:

Crampons, ice axe, helmet.

Approach Notes:

Leroy Basin trail. Expect some major avi carnage in the forest on the Spider Meadow trail. The creek crossing may be high, but we didn't get our feet wet.

Edited by JasonG

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done, as always.

Did you drop far down into the basin below the 7FJ/Fernow col as described in CAG (the Gloomy Glacier route), or were you traverse the basin without loosing too much elevation? We did the latter when making the same trip a few years back and it was quite reasonable, though snow dependent. Another good argument for doing this trip a bit early in the season.

Glad you guys like the report!

Hey Phil!!! We dropped low, since the snow was very firm and Zak and Brad weren't that excited about steep side hilling. It probably added a bit of time, but it was pretty fast both up and down with the snow. I agree that all options would be quite tedious without snow.

And I have to give you many thanks for turning us on to the col camp years ago- one of my favorite camps, period!

• 4 years later...
On 7/8/2014 at 6:21 PM, Phil K said:

Well done, as always.

Did you drop far down into the basin below the 7FJ/Fernow col as described in CAG (the Gloomy Glacier route), or were you traverse the basin without loosing too much elevation? We did the latter when making the same trip a few years back and it was quite reasonable, though snow dependent. Another good argument for doing this trip a bit early in the season.

On 7/8/2014 at 9:05 PM, JasonG said:

Glad you guys like the report!

Hey Phil!!! We dropped low, since the snow was very firm and Zak and Brad weren't that excited about steep side hilling. It probably added a bit of time, but it was pretty fast both up and down with the snow. I agree that all options would be quite tedious without snow.

And I have to give you many thanks for turning us on to the col camp years ago- one of my favorite camps, period!

Hey guys. I agree that col camp looks amazing! Where is it located?