Pretty cool rescue

olyclimber

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming that's not as steep as it looks…..

Go PRO makes it look steep. Why did they leave his pack behind? Hope his car keys were not in there!

and that's what i was thinking… if he was clinging on for dear life, why did they have him let go of the rock to remove the pack? and did removing the pack make it that much easier to fit the harness on him?

how far up was he from the snow field below?

I thought that looked like a pretty good solo and am wondering why he abandoned his attempt? He didn't look dirty or sweaty so perhaps he was more interested in riding a helicopter than free-soloing at some point.

I wonder if he thinks that route is "Unfinished Business" and wants to jump back on it?

and that's what i was thinking… if he was clinging on for dear life, why did they have him let go of the rock to remove the pack? and did removing the pack make it that much easier to fit the harness on him?

The pack was in the way of the harness and making sure it would be properly secured on the victim. That said, it appeared he was able to take the pack off pretty easily and looked to be more in a position of not being able to go up or down.

As for leaving the pack part of me is surprised the victim did not take it with him. However, the rescue crews are taught not to bother with anything other than the victim. That said at 4:40 it would appear the victim motioned over his shoulder to get the pack. The PJ probably told him to leave it.

When we got picked up we were told to leave everything but our wallets and cameras - I took my ice axe while my partner spontaneously left his lunch. But then again they did not drop anyone in but left us to our on devises (i.e. put the screamer suits on).

As for leaving the pack part of me is surprised the victim did not take it with him. However, the rescue crews are taught not to bother with anything other than the victim. That said at 4:40 it would appear the victim motioned over his shoulder to get the pack. The PJ probably told him to leave it.\

PJs will not in any circumstance allow someone they are rescuing to bring their pack. It is purely punitive although they will make some lame excuse as to throwing off the balance or some such shit.