Lightest double boot currently availible

Woodcutter

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you going to use these for? If I remember right you were asking about the best softshell pants for splitboarding and now you want the lightest double boot that's not a ski boot... if you're thinking about splitboarding I'd suggest taking a second look at TLT5/6s. I have a pair of Koflach Superpipes from 1993 in the closet and they don't compare to a modern AT boot for touring.

All weights are for a boot that fits my foot (size 10.5)

Scarpa Omega boots with stock liners 78.4 ounces (4 lbs, 14.4 oz)

Scarpa Omega boots with intuition liners 73.5 (4 lbs, 9.5 oz)

Sportiva Spantik boots 97.7 (6 pounds, 1.7 oz)

Scarpa Phantom 6000 boots 82.2 ounces with stock liners and superfeet insoles (5 pounds, 2.2 ounces)

82 ounces with Palau foam liners

Edited by KaiLarson

What are you going to use these for? If I remember right you were asking about the best softshell pants for splitboarding and now you want the lightest double boot that's not a ski boot... if you're thinking about splitboarding I'd suggest taking a second look at TLT5/6s. I have a pair of Koflach Superpipes from 1993 in the closet and they don't compare to a modern AT boot for touring.

Split-boarding in mountaineering boots.

So I want the lightest pair, so (in winter) you can dry the liners out in your sleeping bag. Lightest boots available to lower the swing weight of your feet. Boots with proper soles so you can actually conquer the mountain in whatever way you see fit, not inhibited by the fact you're a snowboarder, and not wearing ski boots, amazing tech though they are.

Edited by Woodcutter

I splitboard in Dynafit Ones only because my feet are too big to fit in TLT5s. I put in a season back in the early 90s riding in Koflach Superpipes (an extra tall double boot for snowboarding) and wouldn't want to snowboard in them again. I even pulled them out of the closet when I got more into splitboarding to see if they would be a good alternative. They're not.

What bindings are you planning to use with plastic boots?

If I weren't in AT boots I'd be looking really closely at Fitwells but they still don't have a toe welt to take a fully auto crampon.

What's your location and what size foot do you have? If you're close to Bellingham I can loan you my Superpipes, maybe it'll help you with your choice.

I'm planning on using the bog standard Sparks.

I appreciate the offer to take a swing with your Superpipes, I'm in Seattle, but I'll heed your warning that they suck for the split & avoid them. Truthfully, I'm keen to split in a modern, lightweight technical boot that offers high ankle mobility as I'll then use the split to access technical winter climbs.

Thanks again for the offer. PM'd you. Jake