Three O'Clock Rockfall

Otto

We visited Three O'Clock Rock soon after a large rockfall left new broken blocks, scars and dust all over the North Buttress. I had been there and climbed Silent Running back on May 20th and all was normal. DavidW reported the new rockfall on this past Sunday, so the rockfall must have occurred between those dates.

DSCN3779web.jpg

DSCN3780web.jpg

The obvious white scar between Total Soul and Silent Running locates the source. Among the routes affected may be Penny Lane, Revolver, and Silent Running. DavidW was on Silent Running on Sunday, and said it had collected sand and gravel on every flat surface with balanced broken rocks all around. Revolver must have many broken bolts and hangers. Penny Lane may have escaped damage.

It must have been a thunderous roar, just a massive rock fall.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there on June 14 I think. We were going to climb Revolver but there were still a few wet patches up high. Zoinks!

On a somewhat related note, I noticed some fresh scars on Exfoliation Dome's west slabs and buttress. Right of the first pitch of Westward Ho there is a bushy overlap that is missing a thick block (~3 feet thick), now all over the gully at the base, but mostly stable. The rockfall over at Blueberry route at about pitch 3 appears to have extended itself several more feet down.

It was a very concentrated rain period in March, maybe this accelerates the process. It does occur to me that it's all going back to the sea. Sometimes at a fairly rapid clip.... :shock:

It generally seems that the rockfall events are weather related. The big ones mostly happen with early winter storms but I've also seen them on really hot days and this last one happened in a period when there may have been a hard rain but no other obvious trigger. The debris and scarring is pretty impressive.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Matt.

I often suspect roots, which could be a key factor in the warm-weather events. Perhaps a growth spurt...

About the conditions of Silent Running, as of July 13, the lowest two pitches have quite a bit of loose rock at the ledges and the rock a coating of rock dust. The third pitch seemed fine.

And Total Soul seemed to escape unscathed, as the posters above suggested.

On Friday I went up there with DavidW, and another rope team of Kellie M. and Micah L. I wanted to look at Penny Lane, so we let the other team clean piles of tree needles and other debris off of all the bolts on the first two pitches. Micah said he'd look around for a bolt, see a big pile of duff and push it off, and there would be a hanger, or sometimes not! Spooky lead for him. Anyway, the third pitch was clean. We didn't do the fourth pitch.

Then we hopped over and did Stance or Dance and Northwest Passage, which cracks were filled with old needles and dirt. We cleaned 'em out and had a good time. It is not sandy or gravelly over there, but there are some new scars where chunks of rockfall must have bounced over. Northwest Passage needs to be rebolted. What a good finger crack!

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was just up there again a few days ago and saw a very suspect piece of rock that is precariously perched above Silent Running.

If you view my video in the post above and pause it at 22 seconds, in the right lower portion of the frame you can see a large pizza slice shaped piece of stone with dual cracks running up the side. The narrow portion of the pizza slice is facing down and it seems that all of the stone is resting on just a foot or two of granite. One can see full daylight through the cracks. The stone must be 40 feet tall and 15 feet wide.

It's a loaded gun.

I realize that many climbs have loose rocks, rock fall events and suspect sections. This is crazy though.

Have fun.

Edited by Eric T

That thing is crazy looking but it has been there since 3:00 Rock was first developed. Yes, it is not a question of whether it will fall one day, but when. But that is true of just about everything we climb.

Like the Split Pillar, Boot and Texas Flake

• 3 weeks later...

I've now gotten word from some active Darrington climbers that exfoliation is exfoliating and to avoid blue berry hill for now.

I was going up there this weekend to get some shots for a guide book but now I'm going to der town.

I feel you guys with your comments but I like to be informed at least. Someone in here said they suspect roots could be a factor and that flake on silent running has some trees around.

I dismissed the rock fall as "a moment in geological time" to SJ.

He replied "In geological time, its the same moment."

Have fun guys!!!

Edited by Eric T

Matt, Hanman or others - Has anyone actually seen rockfall happen at Dtown when climbing?

Seems like the risk to climbers is reduced, in part, because we aren't on the rock all that much of the time (<10% by my estimation). Plus, I'd think it'd be far more likely during rainstorms, freeze-thaw activity, etc. Should knock on wood, but seems like mild summer weather, things should be less active.

I've witnessed several rockfall events at Squire Creek Wall, and one was second only to a huge rockfall event I saw in the Bugaboos many years ago. There was a large event in Squamish a recently. These events occurred during stable weather. Exfoliating granite does fall down.