[TR] South Sister - South Ridge 6/21/2014

catstack

Trip: South Sister - South Ridge

Date: 6/21/2014

Trip Report:

I camped out at Devils Lake the night before. I got in kind of late and was worried there might not be a spot available. There only seemed to be a few other campers so there was plenty of room. I was a bit surprised since it was Friday and very nice out.

I got started around 5am. About a half mile into the trail there was pretty constant snow pack. I brought some micro shoe spikes and put them on at this point. I continued up the ridge to the snow field.

IMG_20140621_061555.jpg

At the end of the snow field it's nothing but up. I make my way up to the Lewis Tarn expecting to see some blue water but nope! It was still completely frozen over.

IMG_20140621_082642.jpg

I continue going up which is a mix of rock and snow at this point. The very last part was the steepest snow but some rock was starting to show through.

Nice day at the summit, ate a snack, and came on down.

IMG_20140621_094216.jpg

Gear Notes:

Normal gear for a long day hike, micro spikes, and hike poles.

Brought crampons and a ice axe but didn't use either.

Approach Notes:

The snow was soft enough / not steep enough to put on crampons. Using hiking poles and micro spikes I felt fine. If I didn't have the micro spikes it might have taken a bit longer though.

Edited by catstack

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the TR.

I'm honestly impressed with the amount of snow still and that the tarn was still crusted over. It must fall off dramatically after the 3 sister. Shasta had so little left a month ago, and two weeks ago at crater lake there was very little compared to year's past.

Also heard that pool called Lewis Tarn. USGS has it unnamed.