Colchuck Conditions Question

AlpinistAndrew

So I am headed to WA from Vermont for my annual pilgrimage to my homeland. I'm headed out Tuesday and am looking at climbing the NBC of Colchuck and was wondering if anyone has been in the area or up the route recently. I'm not really in tune with the snowpack in the Cascades this year, so I'm not sure what to expect right now. I realize that usually it is climbed a bit earlier in the season, but was hoping to get up it. Any beta would be appreciated, thank you!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

two weeks ago Colchuck Glacier and the NBC were perfect spring neve -- firm enough for easy cramponing or "iffy" step kicking in the early hours, softening to creamy glissading by early afternoon. the past two weeks have been cool, and snow seems to be holding up high, so I'm guessing you might have prime neve conditions if you get on it before we get a heat wave.

-Haireball

NBC could be a little lean from a pic I just looked at on instagram but it's likely fine. Highest temps of the year scheduled tomorrow (90's) in Ltown but a big cool down to 70's on Tuesday, could be ideal, might be a tad stormy.

Andrew, feel free to crash at our place either before or after. Shoot me a PM if you like.