Fall/Death on Twin Sisters

GerritD

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2014/06/free-climber-who-fell-near-mt-baker-dies-after-head-injury/

My friend on Facebook said his dad died climbing on Thursday and this appears to be the incident. I didn't even know his dad was a climber. As usual the media does not give very good info so I am curious if anyone knows more.

When I read about accidents I spring into analysis to try and rationalize why it won't happen to me. Beyond that we can always learn from someone else's mistakes.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard this incredibly sad news this morning from my mom after being gone over the weekend. I don't feel comfortable sharing names (and I know no details of the accident outside of the news story), but I will say he was a family friend of ours...an incredibly warm man, and I always enjoyed his company during the holidays. Last Thanksgiving we discussed getting out to climb together, but never made it happen.

:'(

"The Sheriff’s Office says it appears that the climbers were free-climbing without ropes at the time of the accident."

Why doesn't media know the difference between soloing and free climbing?

We saw helicopter flying and long lining something on Sunday morning, possible the body recovery.

I also think rope would actually do more harm then good on W Ridge.