[TR] Mt Baker - Watson Traverse, 75th anniversary video 5/31/2014

Lowell_Skoog

Trip: Mt Baker - Watson Traverse, 75th anniversary video

Date: 5/31/2014

Trip Report:

LSkoog-20140531-0008-Watson-Traverse.JPG

On May 31, 2014, four friends and I skied the Watson Traverse on Mount Baker to commemorate the 75th anniversary of this route.

I carried a video camera and recreated scenes from Dwight Watson's 1939 movie, which I helped preserve a few years ago.

The reenactment film provides a "then and now" look at the trip and a celebration of 75 years of Cascade ski mountaineering.

I've posted the film on my existing web page describing the Watson Traverse. Look for it at the bottom of this page:

http://alpenglow.org/skiing/baker-2004/index.html

Enjoy!

uw-watson-box6-fold4-flag.jpg

Dwight Watson (L) and Andy Hennig shake hands atop Mount Baker during the first summit ski traverse in May 1939.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic Lowell, thanks for keeping the spirit of Dwight alive. Dwight had originally told my father that he wanted him to have the movies when he passed on. However, it was a good thing that Gino (estate executor) donated them to the Mountaineers. When I showed my dad your page on the Traverse, he remarked "If I had gotten the movies, they would just be sitting in a drawer somewhere collecting dust".

Well done!

• 2 weeks later...