Mt hood South side conditions

Dchromey

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went up yesterday and summited for the summer sunrise. Everyone was ditching the old chute and the Mazama chute is in business. I'd take the Mazama over the old chute. The "catwalk" is sketchy this year and very exposed. I'll be posting a trip report here later today

I was there yesterday. Good snow all the way up after the ski area. Brought 2nd tool, but totally unnecessary. +1 on the Mazama chute. Someone said you needed protection to downclimb the Mazama but I disagree. The Dozen or so I saw do it after me were just fine, even the 50+ year old guy, whatever you are comfy with I suppose.

Edited by Buckshot

I was there yesterday. Good snow all the way up after the ski area. Brought 2nd tool, but totally unnecessary. +1 on the Mazama chute. Someone said you needed protection to downclimb the Mazama but I disagree. The Dozen or so I saw do it after me were just fine, even the 50+ year old guy, whatever you are comfy with I suppose.

Everyone has their own comfort level, and the south side of Hood is definitely the place to find people well past theirs.

Went up yesterday and summited for the summer sunrise. Everyone was ditching the old chute and the Mazama chute is in business. I'd take the Mazama over the old chute. The "catwalk" is sketchy this year and very exposed. I'll be posting a trip report here later today

The 'catwalk' is narrow every year.....and exposed. Maybe just surprising to those new to it? The rockfall is what scares me about climbing this late in the season.

For me as a newbie it was a bit different you could say. Hood is a good mountain but death is imminent on it. The best bet is to start early enough so you hit the sunrise while on the summit. And then descend the hogsback and back to devils kitchen before the sun hits the crater. That's what we did