Seeking fiberglass repair knowledge

Toast

My snowboard took a bad, nasty, awful, icky rock hit this weekend. The fiberglass resin in the sidewall has a very defined crack that will let moisture creep into the wood core. A while back I took this same stick into Mervin to fix a delam on the tip. They squirted some kind of liquid in a bottle into the split and clamped it. About an hour later it was good as new.

First question, what was this miraculous liquid? I don't think it was epoxy... was it a solvent of some type that softened the resin?

Second question, what can I do to fix my stick or minimize the damage? I figure I'll widen the crack, inject some epoxy in and clamp it. Hopefully this'll seal out the moisture for the season. Any better ideas?

Thanks in advance... fruit.gif

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what was this miraculous liquid?

Ask the folks at Mervin.

IMO, some inexpensive two part epoxy should last as a repair for the rest of the season.

BTW, end of January sales can be great (that's often when retailers need to pay off season purchases, so they have real incentive to clear left over stock). And haggling over price is not forbidden.

Yeah, I got a bunch of Christmas cash, but I was hoping to drop that on a down jacket or a digital camera... oh well.

Who has recommendations on boards? I'm looking for something in the neighborhood of a 170, all mountain, free riding board. Send your reviews in.

Here's one: ditch that piece of shit and buy some skis. Oh, and quite sitting down in the middle of a run, and quite clogging the entrance to the chairlifts. Thank you.

Oh Greg_W, I ditched the two plank approach seven years ago and have never looked back. Give it a try, dude. You might gape your first year, but once you ride the steep and deep in the glop we have around here you'll come to your senses.

I've got a 164cm NeverSummer board that's schweet for all mountain shiznit. It's a little small for riding the deep, but that's when speed compensates.

Thanks freeclimb, I already got a LibTech Jamie Lynn XL that'll get me by for the lifts. It's great in compact conditions but I need a big stick for the POW.

fruit.gif

• 2 weeks later...

If it was a "one part glue" (didnt need mixing before use) it was probably something similar to Gorilla Glue. If memory serves, they are polyurethane based, and it is moisture in the air (or in the crack) that drives the reaction for it to cure, and the end result is waterproof and very durable.

You can buy it at Home Depot or Lowes, etc

Cheers bigdrink.gif

Shawn