Mink

nolanr

I think I saw one this weekend, along the banks of the Icicle, just outside of downtown L-worth. It was dark brown, thin and weasel-like, was in and out of visibility in a rock pile, hopped in the creek for a minute, then jumped out and disappeared. Anybody else seen anything like that? And I don't think it was thick-bodied enough to be an otter, and not so gangly on land.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are minks all over the place in BC. They eat the baby ducks and geese in the early summer and run along the rocky beaches in Howe Sound with feathes in their mouths.

Actually I saw a pack of river otters attack and kill some merganser ducks at deception pass once. It was trippy. Animal Kingdom, yeah!

I worked at a cross country ski camp near Leavenworth many years ago and we were constantly pestered by Pine Martens. I believe they are widespread throughout mountain forests throughout the Cascades, whereas Minks are more often found near water. Both are in the weasel family. I have not seen a Fisher in Washington.

Definitely not a pine marten, I saw some of them early this year. This guy was too darkly colored, didn't have the lighter underbelly. I think marten spend the vast majority of their lives in trees. This guy was on the ground, then in the water. Possibly a fisher, I think those are aquatic.

I wish I had got a better look, but he didn't hang around real long.