Climbing packs for petite females

racmccaf

Lady climbers,

I am a 5'3" female looking for a solid climbing pack. Past packs have not been large enough to carry a rack and/or rope, or if they were able to, the frame was too large for my body.

After trying a few on, I've also found chest straps falling in awkward places across my chest (below the boob?!) and the hip belts not being tight enough at the smallest they'll go.

I'm looking for something that will carry a rack or rope, personal gear, food. 30L or thereabouts. I'd love recommendations of brands or specific pack models.

Thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should check out alpine threadworks packs. There handmade by a guide up in Calgary. He customs makes every to your back length, so the fit will be perfect. I've been using the ski specific selkrik pack for the last month or so and am really impressed with the build quality, materials and simplicity of the design. He also makes a climbing specific version called the "selkirk light." In no way affiliated, Im just really psyched on my pack, super light weight. Check em out:

http://alpinethreadworks.com/products/selkirk-light.html

If it's just an approach pack, I go for roomy and wide. I have a BD speed 30 and if my rope is inside, I can't get much more in there. Even if I did, it would be so much more effort to organize and stuff than it's worth. (If I'm actually going up the cliff, then I'm a bit pickier about the size/weight. I'd get a smaller pack and strap on the rope or sling the gear.) I've been carrying an old Granite Gear Nimbus Latitude Ki. I'm 5'2" and waver between 105 - 110 lbs so I'm pretty small and it fits well. It's 60L though. Generally, I need wide packs so I can maintain the volume with a short torso. I saw a guy walking by with what looked like a Mountain Hardwear pack (by the colors) that was short and wide. I also have found that a lot of the Gregory packs are wide so they are better in the shorter torso lengths.

I looked this morning. I think the pack I saw was the Hueco:

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/hueco-35-backpack-OU5951.html?colorID=011

However, it looks like the MH packs only go down to 16" torso whereas my Granite Gear goes down to 14" so I'm not sure. The Hueco looks like it's made to pack easily for its volume though.