Mt Hood June 19th: Got a Cat or Just InfoTo Share?

VegasJoe

Hey everyone, Joe here from Las Vegas. Brand new to the board so if this is not the proper place to put this I apologize in advance.

My 2 buddies and myself are planning to climb the South Route of Mt. Hood on the night of June 19th. We will rent our crampons, boots, axes, helmets from Portland Mountain Shop and have our own rope, harnesses, belay devices etc.

We are all very fit and have multiple multi day trips throughout Grand Canyon. 1 of my friends is a professional guide there as well. John and Joe have successfully climbed Grand Teton last summer. Joe and I successfully climbed Mt. Shasta 4 summers ago via the Avalanche Gulch to Lake Helens route. Joe also stood atop Kilimanjaro about 5 years ago.

Joe and I (I'm Joe also) tried to summit Mt. Hood 3 summers ago but only got as high as our camp area above Palmer lift area. It's a long story but high winds and some things that didn't go as planned caused us to not go any farther.

Well, now that you know some history, we are all three going to be attempting Mt. Hood via the South Route in a couple of weeks. We are considering taking the cat ride that goes up between midnight and 4am. It's around $500 and there are only 3 of us. I believe it holds 12 people,

so........is there anybody that has one reserved and would like to take on a few riders for an equal share of $$??

Suggestions are welcome regarding the trip, planning, etc etc

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...tried to summit Mt. Hood 3 summers ago but only got as high as our camp area above Palmer lift area. It's a long story but high winds and some things that didn't go as planned caused us to not go any farther. ....

Having the good judgment to turn around when conditions aren't right might be more important on your resume than successful ascents you've listed. It may save your life one day. Good luck.

We are all very fit and have multiple multi day trips throughout Grand Canyon. 1 of my friends is a professional guide there as well. John and Joe have successfully climbed Grand Teton last summer. Joe and I successfully climbed Mt. Shasta 4 summers ago via the Avalanche Gulch to Lake Helens route. Joe also stood atop Kilimanjaro about 5 years ago.

so why bother with the cat in the first place?

As mentioned above ... come with a back-up plan and the intent to use it if needed.

agreed on all counts. Adams access should be dandy then. Certainly not technical by the south side but it is a long climb, great views, and a solid outing among friends if you mostly want to just have a good time vs. climb a specific peak/route/level of difficulty.

cheers, hope the weather is solid for ya'll.

FWIW, it seems like about once or twice a year folks post up something about taking a cat ride to the top of the Palmer. Last year I saw a huge group taking it up to Silcox Hut.

Typically what seems to happen is that folks never find many (any?) takers. Mostly because it saves at best a couple of hours and is expensive. Also given you are planning for mid week (which is smart, climbing wise) you will probably have few takers.

That said if coming all that way why not plan to camp at the Saddle and do a couple of routes?

We were mostly wanting to do the cat because 2 of us have already hiked that portion and the third in our party would not mind getting right up to the technical portion of the climb.

But points taken on all accounts, and if it doesn't happen it doesn't happen. We will leave the parking lot no later than midnight.

the third in our party would not mind getting right up to the technical portion of the climb.

What technical portion?

If riding a bulldozer to 9k and slogging for a couple more hours up a beat out boot track sounds like a swell use of vacation time than by all means...

the third in our party would not mind getting right up to the technical portion of the climb.

What technical portion?

If riding a bulldozer to 9k and slogging for a couple more hours up a beat out boot track sounds like a swell use of vacation time than by all means...

Now, now be nice to out of state visitors. But there are not really any technical portions on the south side via the old chute unless the wind is really blowing then the summit ridge can be exciting.

What technical portion?

Not everyone can be a world class PNW local badass I suppose....... :rocken:

What technical portion?

Now, now be nice to out of state visitors. But there are not really any technical portions on the south side via the old chute unless the wind is really blowing then the summit ridge can be exciting.

I wonder if the guy who slipped and fell into the fumarole might disagree?

Or are these guys just blowing smoke to rent more technical gear to out of towners?

The South Side Route, which begins at Timberline Lodge parking lot (5,924 ft.), is the shortest and by far the most popular route to the summit. Mt. Hood’s popularity and dubious distinction as an “easy non-technical hike” or as a “walk up” is a misconception that tends to increase the number of deaths on the mountain.

http://www.mountainshop.net/about/climbing-mt-hood/

But really, I get it, it's not "pure" and all that to take the cat. It's just that the terrain being passed in the bulldozer is lift served anyway so.........

Thanks for the constructive advice so far, much appreciated. :brew:

Well, you're still a good hour or two (depending on fitness) away from where things get kind of steep/"technical" from the top of the Palmer lift. Might as well just walk the whole thing. The cat would really only be saving you 2-3 hours at most; too poor of an ROI for me anyhow.

And yes, be prepared to turn around in adverse conditions or if things don't feel right.

Stay safe and have fun

Well Joe, if you want to tell us that the south side is a technical climb I'm not going to stop you. I'm sure you'll find plenty of people to agree with you. You can find them standing around someplace near the hogsback dressed in shorts over polypro, sniffing sulfur and poking holes in their gators with rented crampons. They will be lashed together with 40 pounds of 11mm rope and will have no problems with dispensing sage mountain advice to those less (or more) skilled. Whether you want it or not.

On the other hand, walking a few hundred yards past the ski lift and dropping down off the moraine will put you out of eye sight of the lifts and give you a much more pleasant experience if you decide that you actually want to climb the mountain rather than skip all that boring walking in favor of those spicy technical sections. Of course, you knew this already since you certainly have this sweet new invention called "Map" right?

Hope you guys have a great bulldozer ride and thanks for the tourist dollars!

Mods: Perhaps Joe would get the answers he seeks if this was moved to the Oregon forum and better yet condensed into the running sticky thread mysteriously labeled "Mt. Hood"?

Edited by KirkW

Hey Joe..

One out-of-stater to another..I will be leaving the parking lot ~1am Friday the 13th under a full moon.

You are welcome to join me if it works for you. I am needing a group to join up with so my wife doesn't worry so much.

-Guy

Well Joe, if you want to tell us that the south side is a technical climb I'm not going to stop you.

I would never tell a new person that the South Side of Hood is not technical.

Yes it may be easy for cascade hardmen, but for people who are mostly used to climbing rock, or nothing at all (especially those from a different region), it can be scary when icy.

I'd recommend climbing midweek to avoid the crowds on that route.

Just saying :grin:

Well, you're still a good hour or two (depending on fitness) away from where things get kind of steep/"technical" from the top of the Palmer lift. Might as well just walk the whole thing. The cat would really only be saving you 2-3 hours at most; too poor of an ROI for me anyhow.

And yes, be prepared to turn around in adverse conditions or if things don't feel right.

Stay safe and have fun

Thank you, good stuff. We may still walk up anyhow, even though at this point I want to ride the bulldozer just to piss off the ego driven hotshot locals. :laf:

Well Joe, if you want to tell us that the south side is a technical climb I'm not going to stop you.

I would never tell a new person that the South Side of Hood is not technical.

Yes it may be easy for cascade hardmen, but for people who are mostly used to climbing rock, or nothing at all (especially those from a different region), it can be scary when icy.

I'd recommend climbing midweek to avoid the crowds on that route.

Just saying :grin:

Logic at last, thank you. It's all about perspective just like anything else.

Playing tennis with your 4.0-5.0 group might make you feel like a hero, but guys in the 6's laugh and scoff at your weak and predictable shots. Or you might be a cat 3 or 4 road racer and feel like king doo doo on your Sunday morning group rides, and then someone really fast drops you like a fat sack of beans and they laugh as you suck wind.......

See where I'm going here?

Any athletic endeavor is going to have ego, mountain climbing is obviously no exception. A few guys thinking of taking a snow cat to where the deadly technical portion of a climb starts didn't seem like something that would actually piss people off as much as it has. For that, I don't apologize. :brew:

Hey Joe..

One out-of-stater to another..I will be leaving the parking lot ~1am Friday the 13th under a full moon.

You are welcome to join me if it works for you. I am needing a group to join up with so my wife doesn't worry so much.

-Guy

We are set to climb the night of the 19th, but thank you very much for invite. Greatest of luck to you in your endeavor!

I cited an outside source, so it's not "me" telling "you" anything.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of people to agree with you. You can find them standing around someplace near the hogsback dressed in shorts over polypro, sniffing sulfur and poking holes in their gators with rented crampons. They will be lashed together with 40 pounds of 11mm rope and will have no problems with dispensing sage mountain advice to those less (or more) skilled. Whether you want it or not.

You sound like you pay a lot of attention to these people, do you have some sort of latent fantasy about healing and transforming these mere mortals into KirkW, AKA "Climbing God?"

On the other hand, walking a few hundred yards past the ski lift and dropping down off the moraine will put you out of eye sight of the lifts and give you a much more pleasant experience if you decide that you actually want to climb the mountain rather than skip all that boring walking in favor of those spicy technical sections.

You almost managed to border on constructive but then crapped all over yourself with the condescending "spicy" reference. You see, any technicality has varying gradients of difficulty. Climbing is no exception and I don't think under good conditions the South Side route of Mt. Hood would be considered "spicy" on a broad scale. Now, to me, yes, it's "spicy" as hell, because it looks intimidating and I have read of countless deaths on that very same route. For you to scoff at it shows you have become jaded because of successes you have had in the past. A sign of immaturity at best and perhaps even borderline sociopathic.

Of course, you knew this already since you certainly have this sweet new invention called "Map" right?

Actually, I already know this because I've already walked up that section a few years ago, see initial post. :ass:

Hope you guys have a great bulldozer ride and thanks for the tourist dollars!

You have a stake in Timberline or you are hoping those few dollars are going to trickle out your way at some point?

Mods: Perhaps Joe would get the answers he seeks if this was moved to the Oregon forum and better yet condensed into the running sticky thread mysteriously labeled "Mt. Hood"?

You mean the thread you started 3 years ago and opened with this:

Please keep this thread SPRAY FREE no matter how silly the question might seem to you. If we all play nice we might even be able to get the mods to make us our very own Hood forum!

So I guess the pressing question for you at this point is, how did you become such a world class tool in just three short years?

Joe,

Some people provided advice. Others gave you a hard time. Absorb the former and ignore the latter, just like you would on any other anonymous internet forum.

And when you find yourself in a hole, like now, stop digging.

Have fun!

Rad

ps. And post a TR when you get back. Welcome to CC.COM!

Edited by Rad

Ah Joe - Bummer but my friend and I are climbing Hood on the 18th so just a day ahead of you or we'd join you. We were considering the same thing, potentially hiring the cat and finding companions for the ride and cost, and just got the link to this forum today to potentially advertise. I think I've seen the commentary enough to know how the locals feel but if anyone else out there is interested for June 18th starting that morning a little after midnight, well they can track me down at Kimwirtz@comcast.net. We are still deciding, and probably won't, but hey if all the guided groups get that advantage it seemed just like a little insurance on a head start towards a summit. Be safe.