‘No chance of survival’ for 6 (2+4) on Lib Ridge

wingy

I have memories of solo'ing up the Black Pyramid to lessen the risk to the rest of our team, the view between my legs was incredible. It was also a long.....way......down. RIP fellow climbers. Sincere condolences to family/friends. We're all very sorry for your loss.

Barry

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aweful news. RIP.

How often do big slides like this come down Lib Ridge, I wonder.

Pretty frequently early in the season - before the snow pack had a chance to consolidate. The 45 deg "ramp" above the lower ridge and the terrain above to the summit ridge are especially prone to high avalanche activity.

This happened almost exactly one year ago but went unnoticed in the news:

3 climbers caught in avalanche on Liberty Ridge, May 2013

12,800 seems an unusual bivi. I can't help but wonder if this was a scheduled stop.

My guess is that they stopped at 12,800 because one or more of the climbers was having altitude issues and/or were way behind schedule. Most seem to get stuck at bergshrund at the top.

That said I read today that the NPS is unsure if they were hit by an avalanche while camped at 12,800 or climbing or fell climbing and then buried by an avalanche.