Mt. Adams North Ridge Access

Newbie here... Climbed a bunch in CA but this is my first trip to the Southern Cascades of Washington.

I know FR-23 is open to mile marker 30 as posted on the Forest Service website but I really need to know about FR-2329. I'll be flying out June 29th of this year. I know the future isn't predictable but...

1) When on average is FR-2329 open to the Killen Creek trailhead?

2) If it's not open by the time we get there, can we ski in from FR-23 and then up to High Camp? Or is there an easier access?

3) More water related than access - How do people feel about drinking the water from Equestria Lake without treatment? Fred Becky's book doesn't talk about water access at High Camp, though I'm assuming there is water there. Never assume in the mountains a long way from the car!

Thanks for all the potential help!

Anthony

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should be fine given the below avg snow pack, however there is a hairpin turn that goes into a shaded north facing slope that might make it dicey. Skinning and hiking from FR23 sounds sadistic.

Only other way would be to go up another trail to the south and hook into the round the mountain trail and go north. Lots of goats in that area...

Roads in the GPNF are typically 'closed' due to downed trees and patches of deep snow that are impassable with a sedan. So you might have a 35yrd patch of deep snow with miles of clear road on the other side from you.

I've been in twice in years past around that time and had to hike the road a short distance when because of a large, lingering snow patch once and had clear sailing another year.

As for water, there is a small tarn in the moraine right below the North Ridge and Adams Glacier that I have camped at and is a reliable water source. Campsites there are decent and very close to the start of the climbs. I would still treat your water though. My preferred method is chlorine dioxide tablets. Lighter than a filter and effective against virus particles. The one time I got sick drinking untreated water in the Cascades was most likely a viral illness.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on Snotel data from Potato Hill, this year is similar to last year and you shouldn't have any problems getting to the Killen Creek TH towards the end of June. Last year I accessed the Killen Creek TH on June 8th from the north side with only a one mile road walk. The north side of 2329 melts out faster than the south side. Use the following FR's to access Killen Creek from the north; 23, 21, 56, 5603, 2329.

• 2 weeks later...