Leavenworth easy approach and kid friendly?

clee03m

Hello, I am trying to find a place to bring my 4 and 2 year old at Leavenworth. I am also nursing a sprained ankle and pregnant, so I am not looking forward to death slab approaches or Leavenworth butt slides. Any ideas on areas with short friendly approaches, flat base for kids to play in, and some easy climbs mixed in? Thanks. Christine

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Barneys Rubble and especially the tooth-y boulder over to the right which you can rig a toprope on and TR 2-3 different sides with the same rig.

We like Mountaineers Dome if there is no one there (eg midweek). The lower crag has a very blocky 4th class thing you can simulclimb with a small kid, and the upper part has the right crack at 5.2 which is doable for the 4-year old. To the left of the "Left Crack", just left of the deproach gully, is a short face at about 5.0 that you can set up with a little trad gear.

X Y cracks right off the road by 8-mile campground is a nice spot if no one is there.

There is a single slabby thing with a short 10a bolted arête on the right side, right at the start of a trail on right side of road going up canyon, but I don't know what it's called. The beginner route is 5.0 and easily top-roped (but rated harder in the guidebook) is good practice for small kids, and right next to the road. But its the only thing right there so doesn't last all that long.

Roto Wall can be ok if you are climbing with/right behind your tots and showing them where to step.

We've found Playground Point to be easily climbable by little kids despite the ratings, because the slabs are really easy... if they can survive the hike. The 4 year old should make it, you might have to pack the 2 year old.