BD Sabertooth crampon: wire bail or plastic strap?

vsigler

I am considering a purchase of BD Sabertooth crampons. They are offered in two configurations at the toe: wire bail, or a plastic strap. In general, what are the pros and cons of the wire bail? I have used a pair of old Charlet Moser 10-points, with straps all-around (most like the BD plastic strap), for years on everything from flat glaciers to vertical ice and they never have failed me. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have broken the plastic retainer on both the toe and heel portion of Black Diamond Contact strap-on crampons (on separate occasions). To be fair, the crampons were at least 5-6 years old at the time. That said, I still prefer the plastic toe piece to a wire bail, because I have had the wire bail jump off the toe of the boot many times. I feel like the security of the plastic toe piece outweighs potential for failure, and if your crampons are not that old, the risk seems fairly low to me.