what is art?

pope

I missed a brilliant photo op this weekend...a buddy from Ellensburg was seen taking a leak, shorts around his ankles, tool in hand, all the while viewing an unsuspecting mountain goat from behind. I could have framed the goat through the "A" of his legs and given the photograph some catchy title like "Mountin' Goat".

I once gave a slide show at a Mountaineers graduation, which seemed to be unanimously enjoyed...right up until I showed the transparency of salamanders conjugating subaqueously in Mowich Lake. I still consider that shot to be an exhibition of my brilliance behind lens and shutter....and so I ask, is this not art?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Art is the essense of expressing the intangible by means of the physical manifestation of creativity. Classic examples of art recognized by most authorities include a) pictures of your buddies peeing near a mountain goat, b)photos of salamanders "doing it", c) pope's Katie Brown/Lynn Hill scrapbook, and d) Dwayner's opinion on any subject. From my exhaustive study of these broad categories, I find that neither grid bolting nor knitted bouldering rasta-caps qualify.

- Dwayner

P.S. pope: uh, can I borrow that scrapbook sometime? And...any truth to the widespread rumor that you applied to the Bandeloop Dance troupe?

Dru, is there a brain bucket under all of those stickers?

Art is... God's Creation, the mountains, the crags, the lakes and rivers, sunsets and sunrises, alpenglow, moon beams. Everything else is Man's attempt to equal it, which pales by comparison. Oops, sorry if I offended any of ya' heathens out there. (Hey, things have been far too friendly around here lately, just trying to stir up a little flame fest!)

Man doesn't create beauty he channels it from creation itself.

To all the literary folks who read this stuff, I must retract my earlier statements about Duchamp- he WAS the cofounder of the dadaist movement along with Alfred Jarry,

whose book "The adventures of Doctor Faustaroll, pataphysician" is a very enjoyable piece of fiction, ranks higher than his play "Ubu Roi" IMO.

I was confusing Duchamp with Breton and Crevel, also Appolinaire as I believe he compiled the great surrealist text "investigating sex"

1) It's Faustroll not Faustaroll. Or were you Faustrolling?

2) Breton instigated the Surrealist investigations into sex. Apollonaire was nearly dead by then, and didn't have much to do with the Surrealists by then anyways, except get worshipped by them...

3) Jarry was a proto-Dadaist. Dada was founded by Tristan Tzara. Watch your overcoat!

4) Dada and Surrealism influenced the Grand Jeu school. Rene Daumal was a member of the Grand Jeu. Rene Daumal wrote Mt. Analogue. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Dru (edited 09-27-2001).]