Pika Mountaineering

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caveat emptor:

There's an unadvertised $8 shipping charge, the Alpine Harness is 15.4oz and comes with only one gear loop (versus the advertised 11oz with two gear loops), and the screamers have a plastic covering over the whole sewn part.

Josh is a nice guy and shipped the package while waiting on the additional $ for shipping. The adjustable daisy chains are the best thing since sliced bread for aiding.

I partialy agree with you...but to be fair we must also consider that 95% of the stuff made to day is a copy of something that was designed at least 10 years ago. Especialy in the tent sector of the industry.

Check out that cam hook that is designed specificaly for pin scars. It has a bend in it that seats perfectly in 1/2-1 inch Angle scars, way more solid than the leeper design. The mallard is kind of like a beak, but seats nicely in the tiny crevases that you find in the bottom of pin scars, you know...the ones that won't quite hold a small HB off because they slope downward too much.

Ifound both peices at Marmot in Bellvue last year.

Yos,

of course Pika knocks off designs. And they have had production of pins that were closed-out by the original manufacturers. (eg.: Think Leeper Zs when Leeper wasn't in production. The list can go on and on). They're just a small company that makes funky wall gear, and fills voids where they see them.

• 2 years later...

RIP OFFS! Pika Mountaineering is currently infringing upon my patent. It looks like I'm going to have to take them to court. No skin off my nose since my attorney is working for a contingency. But still... Like it'd cost them much to just buy my design. Ugh! Why do some people have to be greedy?

What's your patent hjennings? I was contemplating buying something from them, but now you guys got me all wondering... What's the deal here? Sure I agree with freeclimb, everyone is making knockoffs of someones brilliant design... And if they are making improvements on it then for sure I am all for it. Competition on the market forces people to come up with better products, but patent infringement does seem sort of unethical. So, more details please, I want to be an informed shopper.

Check out their "Super Suck Vent Tent." I applied for a US Patent a few years ago. As soon as I applied (which is when protection starts if the patent is issued) I mailed off details of my invention to every tent manufacturer in the US... one of them being Pika.

After the patent was issued (6,397,869) I was in discussions with a different company about a licensing agreement when they discovered the item being sold by Pika (made by Integral Design of Canada). That spoiled the licensing agreement. UGH! frown.gif

So, anywho, I pretty much let it go. But about 3 months ago a toy company contacted me about my patent. They are looking at getting into sporting goods equipment and want to license my patent.

They have reviewed my patent as well as the item being sold by Pike... and they have refered me to a contingent fee lawyer. They (Pika and Integral Design) now have until the end of the month to comply or we'll be looking at civil action. Heck, it is a win/win for me. I don't have to pay the attorney a dime unless I win, so no skin off my nose except for a few stamps.