Mt. Adams access???

jrex

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the Forest Service on April 17 when I asked about information on the road being open to Adams

"The road should be open this year within the next month from last projections."

I'm not sure if they were referring to the road all the way to the trailhead, or just the road in general as I think it was closed for a bit and the last report on 4/25 says it's open for like 2 miles now (still 5 miles from the trailhead) Somehow I'm not optimistic about it being open all the way to Cold Springs at 5000+ within the next 2 weeks when NWAC says paradise at a similar elevation has a snow depth of 176 inches today.

Let me know if you find anything more out.

Jeremy O, ever since the fires burned the lower slopes and approach to the Cold Springs trailhead, the snows have been melting out faster. In the past there would be a pesky snowbank 3 miles from the trailhead, even when the rest of the road had melted out. This wasn't the case last year. Hopefully, the trend will be that we can get up there a month or two earlier on most years!!

• 2 weeks later...

Climbed to the summit of Adams last

Wednesday and had to park my /VW Jetta 3.25 miles below Cold Springs campground. If you have a high clearance 4WD rig you might make it 1/2 mile farther. Otherwise it'll be a couple of more weeks of warmer weather to get to the campground.

Anyone know about when north side approaches should open up? Specifically Killen Creek to access the northwest ridge. Also, is there a better option for an approach to this route?

Thanks!

Would guess mid to late June this year. Think killen is the easiest/shortest.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FWIW most if not all tent sites including the one on Piker's Peak are dry.

Plenty of running water at the Lunch Counter if you look around. We carried an extra stove, fuel and shovel but didn't need them.

Snow almost continuously from the point you cross the circle trail.

Conga line to the summit unless you got an early start on the holiday weekend.

I just did South Side this past weekend on the 4th of July. No snow on trail until about an hour in. Easy trail to follow all the way to the summit. There is still quite a bit of snow but it would be easy to find a dry campsite at Lunch Counter if you want. I had the summit to myself because I started to early. Prime skiing conditions exist if you wait around for the snow to soften up a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

Snowline at the bottom of the Crescent "glacier" on 8/3. Good skiing from mid-way up the face above the lunch counter down to the snowline. Heavy sun cups up high. Plenty of running water as well as a small "lake" on the north side of the lunch counter. SW chutes still holding, although a broken (no continuous snow) retreat back to Cold Springs. Get yer August turns in!