Full AT setup needed (shop for me please)

BriceBurtonImag

Hey All-

Im sure i will get pointed to a bunch of previous threads on this subject (most of which i have already read numerous times) But i come asking anyway.

Im wanting to get into an AT setup that is more suited for going up rather than down. As cool as it would be I know im not going to be bombing any couloies or making big airs. I just want to be more efficient going up hill than snowshoes and more fun coming down hill than show shoes.

There are so many options available and 10 times that of opinions, most of which are gear towards skiers that want to have a bit more fun than i do on the downhill.

I know there are a ton of deals right now and would love some help finding out what is best for me. If you have any advice please feel free to shop around for me as i get a bit overwhelmed when shopping for this stuff. Links would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just my opinion....:)

I don't have advice as to what specific product you should buy, but I can tell you the market depreciation on this stuff is HUGE! Stuff gets marked way down after a year or so on the shelf, and people sell used stuff a pretty hefty discounts from retail.

What does this mean for you? If you're willing to get a first-time setup that's not your dream package, and you're willing to wait (ski season is wrapping up and there's lots of time to watch the boards), you can save yourself at least 50% off a new retail package.

Re-reading you post, I see you don't want to futz around a whole lot, so maybe my advice is not targeted for you....

good luck!

Dave

the problem is the thick fog of marketing gibberish that obscures everything in the ski industry. It seems like every product is touted as "race" or "extreme!" or "all mountain!" even if in reality it's intended for a beginner who is just getting their feet wet in the sport. As a result, you can't really discern what you need.

[end rant]

So - couple questions

1A.) What is your downhill skiing ability?

1.B) Is comfort more important than weight to you?

2.) Is cost an object for you?

3.) Will you be able to hide this purchase from your wife / girlfriend / aging parents?

Any ~1kg ski with race bindings. Those will fly uphill really quick! ;)

Honestly? 174cm Dynafit Cho Oyu (88mm waist) with speed superlights (or speed radicals if you want a flat "boot on ski" tour mode). Good all around, but a little more uphill oriented than downhill. They do fine in deeper snow too. If you want lighter; I've skied the Trab Magico and own Dynafit's Nanga Parbat in 171, both fly uphill. They take a little more control to ski down though.

Wider/heavier? K2 waybacks are cheap and strike a good balance between weight and downhill performance. Coombacks are heavier still, but ski better than waybacks. You can find trab Volares and Rapidos out there on closeout now too. Both are amazing skis but have no rocker, so pass on those if you need rocker to ski (if not the Volare is seriously awesome).

Lots of other options out there; just look and do some research. I've only recommended things I've skied on and would ski on again, or own.

EDIT: I did not take cost into any of my recommendations. If you're trying to do this on a tight budget, say goodbye to most/all the truly lightweight options.

Your "rant" is exactly the issue i become overwhelmed with, you are exactly right.

1A. I am an intermediate skier. I don't mind getting on steepish terrain if its an open bowl/snowfield where i can do some traverses. At the same time im not opposed to taking off the skis and booting down something too difficult (not a big ego here)

1B. obviously a balance would be best but due to my priority of the Uphill being more important to me weight is a concern.

2. Cost is an object but at the same time i have been given the go ahead by the wife to proceed with what i feel is needed. From what everyone is telling me this setup should last for sometime.

3. NO. As mentioned above the wife knows about this purchase and being my primary climbing partner will want in on the action as well at some point.

buying used skis and bindings which i am not above and in some ways would rather do if they dont weigh me down and splurge a bit on new boots.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/spo/4434544589.html

Thoughts?

that is a cost-effective setup for $ at end of the day but I would generally recommend going dynafit (or similar brand) direction due to the weight savings.

Lets be realistic though, what is your cost object? $1000 max? If so you might be able to swing that.. can probably find a dyna compatible boot for $250-300..i saw a mastraeli RS for $299 or something I think recently. Could get the bindings at around $300.. leaving you with $300~ for skis and skins...can be had with used or blemished/new skis. Basically it will take some shopping around and time.

If your top end budget is $1250-1500 you can probably buy all new and not have to 'shop' it as much at all basically, just look for 'ok' deals or sale, dont buy a semi-custom or cottage ski for $600-800+ or a new boot for $750..

but if you want to spend $500, the setup you listed is probably more where you're at--it will be hard to find a light weight tech-binding setup for 'cheap'.

I use the Stigma skis and they are fine if downhill performance isn't super important. Light enough that they are very nice for going up. The price is also right so you can beat them up without feeling bad about it.

I don't think I would ever buy a boot without being able to try it on. That said, shops are usually very low on sizes at this point in the year, so I don't know if that's an option. I would at least try, if you haven't already.

The One is also a bit heavier than you need if you are using this as a primarily uphill tool. The TLT is the standard for people who care about uphill/climbing in their ski boots.

As you know the lighter the gear = the more expensive it tends to be. The TLT is a premium cost for fairly slight weight savings, and a nearly identical design. Dane has done some posts at TGR and his blog about getting a One PX down to TLT weight with a few mods. In my case I went with a One boot last year due to that price/weight/performance thing being pretty close on the map, and still being a huge upgrade from what I had (garmont axons).

Boots in person would be your best bet.. but that could prove to be very difficult as jake said. You can always order from SAC and then living room fit the boots and eat the $7 shipping return charge if they're a no-go..