Creative Uses of Cilo Straps?

jacemullen

So I just got my first cilogear pack (and as a broke college student this was a huge purchase) and I'm super stoked about it.

What are some creative ways of using the straps either on the pack or otherwise? I'm sure there has to be something that I can't think of.

-JM

Edited by jacemullen

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some useful applications I've found for the straps include:

1. Holding my skis on the sides of my pack

2. Holding my foam pad on the side of my pack

3. Carrying pickets (wrap one strap completely around the picket and then clip a carabiner through each to keep it attached)

One of the benefits of the Cilo design is that it's customizable. Figure out which strap configuration you actually use, then use it, and let the other straps gather dust in your closet. No point in attaching stuff to your pack if it doesn't serve a purpose.

Use them as an improvised ski straps to fix a broken binding or skin!

Grab a handfull of them to use as a whip on slow partners on the approach!

Lash some wood together with them to make a raft. Float your way out from a climb, because hiking is for suckers!

You all need to get more creative with your straps.

I've found them useful for carrying the duct tape and seam grip you'll need to repair that flimsy POS after each trip. Of course, YMMV.

+1. I hope they've gotten better over the years since I've had one. Shit fell apart on me after one season

The straps are surprisingly robust - much more robust than the pack they are attached to. I've used mine to make compression straps for another brand of pack after multiple cilogear pack failures. Throw the pack away and keep the straps. If you feel compelled to keep the pack, be VERY gentle with it. If you want it to last as long as a normal pack, don't use it.

So I just got my first cilogear pack (and as a broke college student this was a huge purchase) and I'm super stoked about it.

What are some creative ways of using the straps either on the pack or otherwise? I'm sure there has to be something that I can't think of.

-JM

Good for you JM. I've got a the 60l and 40l Ciolgear packs and I'm pleased with both of them. I also appreciated the great service Graham gave me a few years ago when I needed a new lid. He shipped one to me with no hassle or charge. Check out their YouTube videos - lots of good stuff there re: how to use your new pack.

Edited by Bigtree

I've found them useful for carrying the duct tape and seam grip you'll need to repair that flimsy POS after each trip. Of course, YMMV.

Oh I see, you want a fast&light dyneema pack that is super lightweight, inexpensive AND durable. Duh! :rolleyes:

Edited by rob

I have the standard issue work sack and have put it through the ringer. It's a terrible ski pack but it's a good climbing pack. I've used it for slogs with and without touring gear strapped to the outside, I can fit enough to comfortably camp in the snow inside of it if I split the tent with my partner, the couple of holes that I've punched in the side either with a ski edge or my climbing rack pushing from the inside have been easily patched with tenacious tape and seam grip. I use the straps in a handful of different configurations based on what I'm carrying and it actually carries a split board pretty well with the additional shovel pocket.

Graham, bless his mad heart had me on the phone for nearly an hour discussing UK premiership soccer after I ordered extra straps, he called me cos he couldn't comprehend why I'd need new straps on a new pack. He then made me some cross carry straps for a splitboard & posted them up for free.

I have used that 30l worksack for everything from a 3 day carry-over to hauling really heavy skis up Baker. The pack rocks & has not shown me any failure at all. The old lid is a POS but that's a thing of the past.

Straps easily carry crampons on the front, skis on the sides,3 piece poles for split-descending (tops in the elastics), and in my humble opinion is a top ski pack, for snowboarding. Climbs very well.

..and it's local. Top banana.

Graham didn't want to sell me one of his lightweight woman's panty weight thong-style packs when I told him what I was going to do with it. He came up with the Hauly, an amazing beast instead, which I have not been able to kill yet, despite trying very hard by dragging it over too many rough rock for years: The wall pack, sets up to haul in a few seconds, carry's all kinds of weight. Backpacking in the Wallows I wound up having 4-5 days worth of crap in it -full, and then strapping my wifes pack onto the top (aka same as a rope would be strapped on). God he makes great product. You won't be able to put a crampon point into this easily if at all.

http://www.cilogear.com/65lwallpack.html

Big_Wally_more_stuff_small.jpg

In that picture above, when I dumped it out, this is what was in there (except for the pry bar). That's a 10lb drill barely visible under the pile in the back

Big_Wally_gear_before_small.jpg

Another time I had all my gear and 5 full sized m10 x 60 meter ropes in or strapped on it. (50plus lbs of rope alone, the pack weight a tick over 80 lbs when I got home). It was still comfortable even though just standing upright from a boulder stop to catch a breather was a total bitch cause I'm a lightweight of sorts.