LOST rope/slings/clips Icicle Buttress pullout

humble

Left on/near boulders at Icicle Buttress pullout under r&d area...

-Green/Yellow 60m rope

-At least two yellow/white stitched shoulder length runners & two wild country nitro wire gates (likely also left additional runners/clips, not sure)

Hans

206-992-5222

Thanks

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This actually spurs an argument in my mind. Personally, I believe that if you leave it, it's booty. If you post online asking for someone to give it back (which I've done to considerable opposition) you really are just asking for a favor or for someone to yank it..

Therefore, I no longer post asking for people to find my gear. I figure it basically is climbing's Karma- unless you count post number like dwaner or whoever. It can be also an expensive teacher- younger, less experienced climbers bail more frequently, and with more anchor redundancy than more experienced climbers in my experience. It is an actual financial transfer that happens slowly in the climbing community between friends, partners, and climbing brethren. (And I mean that in the most general neutral way possible).

Other people believe strongly that gear should be returned to them at all costs. These people have an unrealistic attitude probably about climbing in general but in the ethos behind it. If a single cam and a couple nuts are really gonna blow your rack you are probably inexperienced and don't have much gear.

Don't get me wrong- this is not a personal attack on you. Clearly, you forgot your rope. For all I know you put up 5.14 multi pitch in your free time.

Additionally- I lose an entire double rack out of sheer happenstance or what have you, I'm gonna get it back.

I understand a certain "lost and found" mentality is realistic in the climbing community but just to illustrate my point think of climbing everest. Think of "theoretically" climbing it with siege tactics and establishing your ropes with a large team or teams. You don't go thinking about who's gear is who's, or which life-saving, essential tool belongs where. The same should go for all climbing gear. Bail situations happen. We should cope with them and take them in stride rather than telling other people where to find free gear.

If I've offended anyone I sincerely apologize.

If it's left in place on a route, like a bail anchor or a struck piece, it's booty. If it's forgotten at the base of a route,I would say it's not booty and would be bad form to not give it back if you knew who's gear it is. Also, nothing wrong with a post here to try and reclaim.

If it's left in place on a route, like a bail anchor or a struck piece, it's booty. If it's forgotten at the base of a route,I would say it's not booty and would be bad form to not give it back if you knew who's gear it is. Also, nothing wrong with a post here to try and reclaim.

+1 ...

Wetslide has an interesting perspective, though, a good effort to reduce unnecessary bailing and avoid overbuilding your bail anchor. But I agree with Pete, if you are bailing and leaving gear, its definitely booty. If you leave it somewhere else, where it was a mistake, it could also be considered booty, but you could/should make an effort to return it (and thus buy yourself some good climbing karma).