• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
bellows

[TR] Leavenworth - Clamshell Crag 4/13/2014

Trip: Leavenworth - Clamshell Crag

Date: 4/13/2014

Trip Report:

An ordinary Sunday cragging in Leavenworth was made noteworthy by the company of a 91 year old dirtbag.

Fred enjoying the sunshine: (photo credit D Palma)

lworth1.jpg

Working the crux on Noisy Oyster (5.7) with a healthy top rope belay:lworth2.JPG

Shrimp Salad (5.7)

lworth3.JPG

UP ROPE!

lworth4.JPG

Mac wishing he had opposable thumbs so he could climb too. In dog years he’s over half a millennium younger than Fred.

lworth5.JPG

Group photo at the end of the day (photo credit Robert M)

lworth6.jpg

It was truly a treat to be able to spend the day with such an inspiring man.

Approach Notes:

Ticks weren’t an issue. Even Mac escaped the day without getting any on him.

I love that first picture of Fred. Its a "WTF are you looking at, even I can send that line" type of pose.

Edited by DrApnea

Did you bring the pickles?

Is there a story with Fred and pickles?

When we picked him up he kept talking about a big bag of candy he had in his rucksack. He mentioned the bag of candy again when we got to the trailhead. He finally pulled it out when we got to Clamshell... and it was just a huge bag of raisins! Wtf, worst candy ever, and I thought my grandmother's butterscotch was bad!

Edited by bellows

Did you bring the pickles?

When we picked him up he kept talking about a big bag of candy he had in his rucksack. He mentioned the bag of candy again when we got to the trailhead. He finally pulled it out when we got to Clamshell... and it was just a huge bag of raisins! Wtf, worst candy ever, and I thought my grandmother's butterscotch was bad!

This is funny!

Sort of. It involves Fred loudly interrupting someone's slide show to discuss with his female companion the need to get pickles on their way home. I think Fred has a thing for certain foods, raisins included.

I don't know anyone who has spent more than a few hours with Fred that doesn't have a good story or two.