Adams this spring

Jeremy.0

Anybody interested in climbing Adams sometime in the nearish future? One of the last volcanoes around for me to climb. I'm coming off shoulder surgery this past fall, so it'd be a good way to start getting into shape again after sitting around all winter getting fat. Not sure when the road to the trailhead usually becomes accessible, so dates might be dependent on that.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was planning on a solo climb on the south spur the weekend of the 16th in May. If that works in your time frame, I'd be down for linking up and making the walk with a partner.

I don't have a lot of experience, but I can walk with a pack and have a little snow/glacier experience, though we probably won't be on a glacier. I was toying with the idea of doing it in one day, but will probably cut it into two.

I don't know how conditions are, but I remember reading one trip report from a guy who did it at the end of May and had to park about 4 miles from the trail head, adding about 8 miles to his trip.

though we probably won't be on a glacier.

If I remember correctly, you'll spend some time on a glacier on the standard south face route. I've done it a handful of times in the summer and never used gear other than crampon and axe. Maybe you'll need to be cautious about crevasses this early in the season... I'm not sure. But I would guess you'll be at least intermittently on a glacier past the treeline.

end of may being a few miles from the TH is more than par for the course. But this is a low snow year so might get as close as a mile away, depends on our spring. Rain melts snow faster than sun.

as for glacier, especially on the 'early' season variation that goes a little more to the East and past Red Butte, you never cross a glacier from TH to the summit. It is debatable if the 'crescent' is a glacier anymore or more like palmer snowfield.. it may be more of a permanent snowfield than have much ice or ice movement. really dont think you need to spend any energy worrying about crevasses on the standard southside route up adams.

Crescent is very similar to zig zag and Palmer in pitch and lack of hazards. You may be able to find a moat near the rock bands but I don't recall anything close to a crevasse from 8000 up to lunch counter elevation. Not sure what it looks like further down and west. Should be fine with axe and crampons.

I'd like to ski Adams again. Prefer to try SW chutes but standard south route would be OK if that's all I can find partners for.

Jason

I am looking for a climbing (ideally on alpine touring/tele) partner for Adams either May 4-7 or 14-20. Anywhere within these dates I'm available. Lots of long distance hiking experience, some winter mtneering experience. Have avy gear, limited practice using it/stability assessment skills. Does this time window work for anyone out there? FYI road 4080 for S. Summit approach is closed, adding I estimate 7 more miles each way, plus 2500 vert. (http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/giffordpinchot/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5435984)

Kris

PCT 08 CDT 2010

@Kris

According to the forest service when I emailed them the end of last week about info on when the road becomes accessible to the trailhead, they responded by saying "The road should be open this year within the next month from last projections". Even if it's not all the way open, it might not be as bad as 7 extra miles