Mt Hood (late April - May)

Roast Cabbage

I'm fairly new to the area and am looking for a partner or SMALL group to climb Mt Hood at the end of April or May. I'd prefer to do this on a weekday to avoid crowds. Although I have never climbed a glaciated peak, I have climbed a number of 14ers in CO as well as numerous remote alpine mountains in the winter. I'm pretty safety conscious, but I'm looking for person(s) who are more interested in having fun than turning this into a military drill. Of course, common sense is a must. I'm prepared to tackle this solo, but would prefer to share the experience. Let me know if you're interested. Cheers!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very interested in joining you on this climb. I am taking the Mazamas Basic Climbing Education Program right now and am very confident I have the knowledge to be an effective member of a Hood climb. I will be able to make any day work before May 15th given a weeks notice. I also would like to make it on a weekday. Looking forward to hearing back from you.

I'm coming to hood on 4-26 for a midnight 4-27 climb. As I have no glacier/ice experience I was planning on stopping at silcox hut and not summit. However, I would love to attempt a summit if I had a partner to climb with who has experience on this Mt.

Is hood too dangerous for a first time solo? I see so many conflicting reports on different sites and boards so was hoping to get some advice here (and maybe a partner to climb with).

38, rock climber (sport), runner, hiker; excellent shape (dont smoke don't drink) and no health problems at all. Very conciensous person. I have no problem challenging myself, but at the same time no desire add risk to an inherently risky activity either.

Thanks,

Josh

Hey everyone. . so sorry for the long silence. I assumed this forum would notify me by email when someone posted on the thread I started.

Since my last visit I have snowshoed up St Helens in blizzard conditions. It was a great experience that gave me some respect for extended periods in the alpine zone with no cover for miles. Still looking for another partner for Mt Hood this coming month. But I am hoping to find someone who is flexible enough to plan two days in advance based on weather forecast. This coming week looks like it has some potential winners for climbing dates.

I have secured one very fit and experienced partner who has summited both Adams and St Helens during the snowier season, but she is nervous about going up Hood without someone else who has former experience on it. Once again, let me know if you fit the description. I promise to check this forum regularly now that I know it's not going to check on me ;) I would also include one more experienced person who may or may not have summited a glaciated peak. I want to keep this group small (no more than 4) for logistic and safety reasons. Hope to hear from you very soon!

Edited by Roast Cabbage

Joshua K: How were conditions?

Kris, Roast Cabbage, and sscherle1545: I also want to summit Hood during this week's heatwave- Thursday seems prime. See www.climbingweather.com/Oregon/Mt.-Hood‎. As for Cascade volcanoes, I have climbed Shasta, St. Helens, and South Sister, and am hitting roughly 6-8k ft of vert/week in 2014. No skis, though. I am comfortable on snow, have some rope team experience, and will be bringing the dog. I will head up solo if I cannot find a partner, but am game for some company ... Cheers!

If there's still room in your group, I'm available starting Thursday afternoon. I was actually toying with the idea of climbing solo this Friday, but it wouldn't hurt to have company. As far as volcanoes go, I've done Shasta (winter), Lassen Peak (winter), McLoughlin (spring), St. Helens (winter x2), Middle Sister (winter), and Adams (early spring) previously. I also nearly made it to the summit of Rainier a few weeks ago but a member of our team had some issues which forced us to turn around. Bummer.

http://www.nwac.us/avalanche-forecast/current/mt-hood/

Mt Hood area

Avalanche Warning

Issued: Mon, April 28, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Expires: Tue, April 29, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Avalanche Warning

Issued: Mon, April 28, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Expires: Wed, April 30, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Issued: 6:00 PM Monday, April 28, 2014

by Kenny Kramer

Please note that regularly scheduled mountain weather and avalanche forecasts for the past winter season have ended. However, weather and snow conditions will continue to be monitored at the Northwest Avalanche Center with the information that remains available. Additional forecasts or special statements will be issued according to the criteria and schedule given here.

Summary

Forecast Discussion

Observations & Weather Data

The Bottom Line: Very dangerous avalanche conditions are expected with many large to very large natural avalanches likely. Some of these slides may become destructive in force and as a result, travel in avalanche terrain is not recommended.