Newbie LF newbies to start alpine courses

Jeremy1979

Hello,

Recently moved in the PNW (Portland) and looking to start alpine climbing. I want to sign up for day courses here and there to get started (eg the Timberline Guides day courses, $180/person/day), to cope with work and family schedule, and would love to get a small group started so we can learn together.

Let me know if interested and we can work out the details.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd recommend TMG's 2 day Hood Summit program. Very helpful instruction, and a summit attempt.

Study up on crevasses rescue to get some basic knowledge, then take a course on Rainier. IMG and RMI both have good crevasse courses.

That will get you a good foundation to start climbing the volcanoes around here. Look to join up with some groups to climb with. (Here, meetup, etc).

No problem. Another tip I was given, that has helped me: buy a length of rope or cordelette (maybe 10-15ft or so) from REI or somewhere, to practice your knots and anchor set ups as you acquire gear. This can easily be done at home.

Also, buy Freedom of the Hills if you haven't already.

Ha, done and done: I have the cordelette for practicing knots, and plowed through the Freedom of the Hills. I am now officially a guide's worse nightmare: the guy that's read a few books and thinks he knows something. I am training for mountain climbing though, so maybe that'll offset my ignorance. Thanks again

Edited by Jeremy1979