Road to Darrington Washed out in Mud Slide, 3 Dead

OlympicMtnBoy

on a much smaller scale, this illustration looks like the slide into the river right by the pilchuck turnoff. the one that took out the original turnoff.

Are these kinds of slides usually caused by rivers eating at the base? I thought that the Oso slide was not started by the river erosion.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if it was a one, two event, the "lower" block was still quite high on the slope. the remains of the 2006 failure were low angle and extended 700' from the river to the head scarp. I will need to go back and look at the imagery post 2006 slide, but I'm not sure if there was a stair step above the 2006 scarp. Very interesting, thanks for the link.

Impressive LiDAR isn't it? That "Large B" slide in particular was something that all of us in the office keyed in on when we first got the imagery in 2003. At the time, it was really sobering to see what the geology in this area is capable of. It sounds like many of the residents in this area weren't familiar with the data, unfortunately. SnoCo does have the LiDAR though, I'm just not sure if it is available to the public. I suspect that will change.

Edited by JasonG

I thought that the Oso slide was not started by the river erosion.

This will come out in the months and years ahead as qualified folks puzzle through this. My take is that the river was well away from the failure plane and the failure rode over and entrained the old debris before barreling across the river. Dave Montgomery needs to stick to sites he's familiar with and hold off on suggesting causes.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Expert-Erosion-on-satellite-photo-not-a-factor-in-slide-252985581.html

I've worked on the Stillaguamish for more than 14 years and I do know that he isn't very familiar with the site. I don't make that statement lightly. Dave's a good guy though, and my boss had a productive talk with him today about the project we did in response to the 2006 slide.