Mount Olympus ONP - Spring / Summer

astrov

I am interested in climbing Mt. Olympus this spring / summer.

I grew up hiking all around the Olympics but have never climbed the big O. This climb's remoteness, unique ecology, and scenic value all entice me. I can't get my regular climbing partners interested in it.

I am capable of safe glacier travel and leading the short bit of technical rock climbing on the summit block. I have climbed all of our Volcanoes except Baker, Shuksan, and Glacier Peak (is that a volcano?).

Although I don't want this to be an international peace expedition in terms of gear load, I don't care if we go minimalist or not as I'd prefer a relaxed pace to savor my time in the incomparable Hoh valley. That said we should be able to cover the 18 mile approach in a long day.

let me know if any interest ... I'm thinking of making this at least a 4 day weekend as I'll be coming from Portland.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ARBrandon - No block of dates in mind - I just need a little lead time (say, 3 weeks) and I can probably request and be granted the time off if my department is adequately staffed up. We have a big project this summer that will be determining our schedules, so I will know more once that begins in earnest. but for now it's safe to say I'm flexible. Early is probably better. (Better for bugs, too, in the Olympics!)

.chad - I could do three summits - but truthfully I haven't researched what additional logistics this option presents - could you let me know?

thanks for interest.

I don't think the traverse would do much to complicate logistics. The East and Middle peaks are class 3 scrambles according to the OMR guide, so we wouldn't need any additional technical gear. (The Hoh Glacier will probably be a bit steeper and more crevassed than the Blue / Snow Dome, but in good conditions it should still be pretty straightforward.) We could surely do all three peaks in a day from Glacier Meadows if we get started reasonably early and keep a decent pace. Advantages would be getting to see more of the mountain and its glaciers (in particular the Hoh), and more time "climbing" for the long approach.

I went up the West Peak in 2011 and it was a lot of fun, but I found myself wanting to see the other half of the mountain.

If you guys feel like teaching a newbie I would love to go. I live on the Peninsula and have just caught the climbing bug. Been a backpacker but now I am trying to get to some of the peaks in the Olympics. I'm doing the winter route on Mt.Ellinor this week to get some more experience, my first time really using crampons.

Anywho, if you feel like having some tag a long let me know. I am a quick learner.

-Z

• 4 weeks later...