Your other hobbies...

mountainsandsound

In terms of hobbies, what competes with climbing for your attention?

Driving. :tup: passing up gems along I-15 such as Kolob/Zion, Red Rocks, J-Tree, Idyllwild, in order to sesh trestles, swami's, O-side. shit's been good this winter.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...in order to sesh trestles, swami's, O-side....
:confused:

As for me, I still ski, hike, backpack, but mostly when I have a chance to stoke my kids’ interest in that stuff.

My main non-climbing thing is playing my trumpet – jazz, soul, marching, whatever. I tell you, the head space for taking an improvised solo in front of a few hundred people is kind of like a good climbing lead - you’ve got to combine awareness, flexibility and precision, while keeping a cool head.

Or it can be mellow...

Jammin.JPG

My winter fixation is puzzles: crosswords, jigsaw, sudoku, ken-ken. By getting them done now, I’ll have my geriatric years free to BASE jump, ride motorcycles, etc.

Used to run competitively... XC and track, won a few races, went to a few national championships, now I mainly run for enjoyment and training for other stuff.

Road/commute biking... this is part of my job too as I get paid to teach kids bike handling, rules of the road, etc. It's fun when rednecks and drunks aren't trying to run you into a ditch and biking to work at 6am when its -10F is great training for alpine stuff.

Skiing of all types. Been downhillin' since I was 6. Did my first BC run at age 12. Bachelor is flat and overpriced compared to Tahoe so now I just go Rando.

Food... local food, growing your own, foraging, cooking delicious stuff, fermentation, as long as I get to eat it I'm stoked. I've made a lot of my own yogurt and sauerkraut in the past year.

Anything where I'm learning. Constant progress, self sufficiency and improvement is very satisfying. Other cultures, languages, ecology and physical geography, biology and human physiology, DIY and hands on skills. This might be why I got so into climbing without meaning to.

I'm the type of person that if I have something coming up, like a trip, or am not done working on something (like my new book), I cannot enjoy my free time - instead I anxiously fiddle with shit. I have to have a blank calendar to be able to enjoy other hobbies like running, biking, or reading.

You guys are exciting, here's mine:

Forced marches to remote, bug infested lakes & creeks to impress my wife and daughter of my back country savvy and convince them of how fun it is to sleep on the hardened ground. They buy it so far (I tell myself).

Drinking coffee and trying to appear busy (yet organized and happy to help you!);

Modeling the newest ski gear at the lodge, pretending to fall down the stairs whenever the kid is with me to embarrass her;

Shouting out driving violations at automobile operators from my bike (inside my head, not aloud, although once I yelled "hey!" in kind of an angry voice);

Researching climbing routes instead of working;

Messing around in my garage when I should be training for extreme climbing and skiing (but it's pretty organized);

Watching youtube instead of working;

Yelling at kids to get off my lawn (not really but sometimes I'd like to);

Lurking on Facebook instead of working;

Pondering ways to crack up my wife and daughter (timing is important and during Church is not a good time);

Reading the crossfit WOD and deciding that I would probably just wait for tomorrow's WOD due too only having a 25lb exercise ball and not the 20lb.

Shopping for gear and usually returning it because it's really no different that the thing I already have.

Taking my bow/rifle/shotgun for walks. Lost an arrow last year;

Reading CC.com instead of working;

...Shouting out driving violations at automobile operators from my bike (inside my head, not aloud, although once I yelled "hey!" in kind of an angry voice)

don't internalize it man. funny clip from portlandia.

[video:youtube]V3nMnr8ZirI